Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Acid flush raw water system.....

Depco do a great job. You might give them a shot at rebuilding both pumps. Also make sure none of the sewater intake hoses are soft- if they delaminate, they can obstruct the flow of water under suction from the pump, they will actually close up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Oscar, When I had overheating issues on my 34 it was never one problem. A series of issues that all added up. Intake, impeller, rubber pieces stuck, fuel cooler, trans cooler, All contributed some. Then on once with a new impeller raw water did not flow right. That turned out to be worn lobe on the pump itself that would not flip the impeller blades enough anymore. Didn't even know that was possible.

Save yourself some time. Go through every aspect of your cooling and raw water systems as a whole. Then grab some more sunrises and sunsets.
    Doing it, one step at a time.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

And here are the afters..... Although it appears to have improved I am not having a "wow" moment.
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I would change the thermostats and seals. One theromstat that sticks just slightly short of fully open can cause the same issue.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    And here are the afters..... Although it appears to have improved I am not having a "wow" moment.
    I don’t like that either. What solution are you using?This is what it’s supposed to look like.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I don’t like that either. What solution are you using?This is what it’s supposed to look like.
    Klean Strip Concrete and metal prep..........
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I would change the thermostats and seals. One theromstat that sticks just slightly short of fully open can cause the same issue.
    New thermostats in stock. And I agree with that assessment. It was the next thing on the list. Which brings me to the following......

The manual I have is (also) for trucks. They have radiators and things look slightly different. The main characteristic of the thermostat housing is the square with four bolts. I am 99% the first pic is it on top of the fresh water pump with the electrical temperature probe in it's body. (Not visible in the pic) I assume the sender on top is the alarm.

So that begs the question: What is the second pic? Square housing, 4 bolts, connected to the fresh water reservoir and the transmission oil cooler in the bottom of the reservoir/heat exchanger. It also has the mechanical temp probe in it. (Visible in the picture) Out of the bottom comes a tube to the exhaust manifold.....
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

You have thermostats on each bank. I have four per my 12/71. You can test the thermostats. But I think you’ve got to get those pipes clean. Mix is 17 quarts water to 3 quarts acid for 5 gallons total. Probably 90 mins and a good rinse.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I would suggest a slide hammer seal puller to replace the seals and new bolts when you reinstall the housings.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You have thermostats on each bank. I have four per my 12/71. You can test the thermostats. But I think you’ve got to get those pipes clean. Mix is 17 quarts water to 3 quarts acid for 5 gallons total. Probably 90 mins and a good rinse.
    AHA! TWO thermostats. That makes sense. And yes, that's what I did with the acid wash. Ran it through for almost two hours with a small submersible bilge pump and 1-1/8" hose. Plenty of flow and plenty black.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-22-2020 at 11:18 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay