Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Acid flush raw water system.....

Here are the "before" pictures. Rigging the plumbing as we speak. I don't know if it's bad enough to cause it to run warm, but it certainly looks like it won't hurt. Can't seem to get them in focus but you get the idea.....
    Attached Images
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Acid flush raw water system.....

How long for the "after"?

I’ve seen lots worse, it needs it in my opinion.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Not what I wanted to hear...... If it's not "that" bad it may not be the cause of my temp issue. The impeller was in good shape. There was a lot of scoring in the plate so that's being replaced.

Still waiting on a temp sender. The one in there may not have been the right one.

Meanwhile after 45 minutes the solution is turning black.

During:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-22-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Keep in mind that even if the impeller "appears" to be in good shape, they can loose their elasticity and not pump as efficiently as intended. If there is any doubt, go with a new impeller.

Can you give us an idea of what your temp issues are? Have you verified anything with an IR temp gun? Any details may help others get you pointed in the right direction.

I agree that what you are doing was probably needed, but was it the cause of the overheating? maybe, maybe not.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Rebuilding pumps that are worn out may he the problem.

I send customers pumps to depco all the time. Funny what they find. Its worth it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    Keep in mind that even if the impeller "appears" to be in good shape, they can loose their elasticity and not pump as efficiently as intended. If there is any doubt, go with a new impeller.
    It feels pretty good, but nevertheless there's a new one going in.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Can you give us an idea of what your temp issues are? Have you verified anything with an IR temp gun? Any details may help others get you pointed in the right direction.

I agree that what you are doing was probably needed, but was it the cause of the overheating? maybe, maybe not.
    According to the gauges it runs 5º warmer (180) than the port side at 13-1400 RPM. At 1800 RPM the port side goes to about 185-190, but the starboard side heads above 200. Again, according to the gauges.

Couldn't find anything above 193-194 with the IR gun, aiming at fresh water pump, the pipes where the senders are in and the thermostat housing. That's too warm though.

SB mechanical gauge is hard to read due to very coarse calibration but also heads north of 200 at high RPM.

Never did get an alarm.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-22-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Oscar, When I had overheating issues on my 34 it was never one problem. A series of issues that all added up. Intake, impeller, rubber pieces stuck, fuel cooler, trans cooler, All contributed some. Then on once with a new impeller raw water did not flow right. That turned out to be worn lobe on the pump itself that would not flip the impeller blades enough anymore. Didn't even know that was possible.

Save yourself some time. Go through every aspect of your cooling and raw water systems as a whole. Then grab some more sunrises and sunsets.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP