Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wallpaper in hall between engine rooms

We have white wallpaper in the hall between our engine rooms that looks like bead board and we are considering how to spruce it up. The is no peeling, but it has a few scratches and gouges and is getting discolored. I was thinking of filling the damage and painting it. Has anyone done this, or are there any alternatives to a complete replacement? The Admiral has been looking for similar paper to replace the bad spots, but has had no luck.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Wallpaper in hall between engine rooms

Yeah, mine looks like 42 years of engine maintenance too.... Not sure what I'm going to do there yet. Something inside of me wants to find the proper color laminate and glue that on so you can wipe it down with solvent if need be.......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

It s been painted white on mine, I recently recoated with mat white paint. Another option would be to use mat Formica. Same look but easier to clean. One day... veneer would be nice but too fragile
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The good news is you can paint the vinyl Wallcovering. Go to your local paint store, not the big box stores and ask the manager for the primer for vinyl. Preparing the surface is crucial for a good adhesion. Once primed you can paint it with an eggshell or satin finish latex enamel. Get the best quality you can buy for the best durability. Bad news on finding a matching paper is impossible. Batch numbers alone would be an issue even if the pattern matched.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I am wondering if there is any special prep before painting? I assume a coat of primer first, but should it be oil or water based? I was thinking of treating it like drywall and using spackle to fix any defects then just painting with primer and paint. Latex would be a lot nicer to work with than oil.

I’m not sure that it’s a vinyl product. Where the gouges are it looks like some kind of paper, the same with the surface covering. Anyway, I’m just getting ideas and making plans, this is a job for our three months in Marathon this winter. Along with dealing with the exterior handrails and re-sealing some of the portholes and replacing the felts on the sliding windows and..........
    Last edited by Westfield 11; 09-22-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

A good cleaning with a cleaner degreaser and rinse with fresh water a few times. Latex paints have come a long wY and in most cases are better than oils. I was in the paint business for 50 plus years and witnessed stores that sold 99% oils to 99% latex products.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I recently removed the wall paper, a pain. Painter with semi gloss, didn't like it then used gloss.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    I recently removed the wall paper, a pain. Painter with semi gloss, didn't like it then used gloss.
    Same here. Remove the wallpaper, patch and paint. It really brightens it up.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Our ribbed or ridged white wallpaper had 35 years of grime and dirt. Looked terrible and could not be properly cleaned with brushes or rags or normal cleaning detergents. The grime remained in the valleys.

We then noticed that our Sudbury Bilge Cleaner foamed up a little when used as a cleaner on an engine.

Result of trial on wallpaper was that with a soft brush, Sudburys foamed up and lifted out all the grime.

Two years on, the wallpaper is still clean, not greasy and shows no aging.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Lowe’s sells 4x8 sheets of fiberglass wall board. It’s stippled glossy on one side and unfinished white on the reverse. I imagine you could paint it either way. On Aslan, the engine room overhead panels were showing their age. I cut the fiberglass material to fit the squares and glued using loctite adhesive. Been three years with no sign of coming down and, as you’d expect, easy to clean.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC