Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Big Decision Time

OK, this is going to take a while. I've been running Ambrosia Mae, a '79 43C, since I bought her in 2003. She has 6v92TA engines making 435hp.

When I bought her they had about 850 hrs on them; now around 4000. I seem to be spending more and more time in the ER lately. The port engine has been pretty much bullet proof - the stbd not so much. It eats injectors like Fritos, it seems. Usually 1 or 2 per season over the past 5 or years. Both engines leak like, well like Detroit Diesels. Performance has declined over the past few years as well. Right now I can't seem to get her over 2150rpm. It should hit 2350. I went through the full tune up process on both engines over the past 2 days. A total of 1 injector needed to have the rack adjusted slightly. 3 exhaust valves needed the clearance tweaked. Injector timing was fine across the board. All 4 turbos seem to be spooling properly. Fuel filters are fresh and the Airseps are clean. The stbd aftercooler was last cleaned in '18, the port in '14. It's probably due. Both engines light off virtually instantly this time of year with zero smoke. In cold weather it takes 2 or 3 attempts before they start, and they smoke for 15 – 20 seconds.

I cruise a little with her - mostly fish. I love the offshore scene. Fully loaded heading offshore, I carry 490 gal of diesel in the tanks, 300 more in a bladder on the bow, 165 gal of water, and around 2500# of ice, plus 6 big guys and enough food and drink for an army. I'm lucky to make 15kts heading out heavy, and 16 to 17 heading in after burning off a bunch of fuel. Fully loaded, she probably weighs in north of 48,000 #. On my last trip, we burned approx 710 out of 790 gallons at a rate of 44gph.

So, needless to say I'm getting tired of these engines and I’m tired of the performance. I looked at a '93 50' last week but was disappointed in it. Small cockpit and terrible ER access. I did a lot of soul searching over the weekend while at the boat and decided that I still love her. I've set her up to fit my needs, both for fishing and wifely stuff. New galley, head redone, custom teak cabinets, fairly new electronics, tons of rod holders, etc.

So, I figure my options are:
    1) Do the aftercooler cleaning and hope my missing rpm return; live with the oil bleeding and keep cleaning up the mess
    2) Rebuild both engines and hope I can live with the performance
    3) Sell her and buy another boat with someone else's problems
    4) Sell her and buy another boat and repower that one
    5) Repower my boat

I'm leaning toward repowering my boat. Yea, I know that the value of the repowered 43C will probably be less than the cost of the repower. I can accept that. I'm gonna be 65 in a few months. Maybe I'm finally having my midlife crisis. I'm not sure I want to keep dealing with the engine problems and marginal performance any more.

So, if you were repowering a 43, what engine would you be looking at? I think I want to be around 635hp and my short list right now includes the QSM11 and the Scania. I know of a '79 43C for sale in North Carolina with the QSMs. They claim it cruises 26kts at 45gph and maxes out at 30kts. I’d be happy with that, presuming its true. I do worry that I might be pushing the envelope relative to having to worry about keel walking at that speed.

So, clearly it’s a big decision for me. I’d love to hear some of your learned opinions on the overall project and engine choice. Thanks.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Big Decision Time

Qsm11 is a great motor at 600 or so he. Also the smaller and lighter QSC goes up to 600 bp.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Qsm11 is a great motor at 600 or so he. Also the smaller and lighter QSC goes up to 600 bp.

Your engines are about 9 liters. Right in the middle of the 2 options
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We have a neighbor with an 86 43 with Cats. Faster, quiter, and now the second generation family members are using the boat too. Short version, they use it all of the time.
    Since you like to fish, Repower and enjoy it as long as you can. It will probably make you smile.

The passion of ownership shines through your post. Have fun.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

I'd install QSMs at 660 hp. (they do come with higher ratings, but you can probably get 660hp on the reman program which is definitely the way to go on an older boat) I'd suggest T&S Marine Engines in Crisfield, MD, as the place to buy them. You might be able to get the install done in that area, too.

With those engines, your boat will be substantially faster, burn less fuel, and outlast you. Which a Hatteras will do anyway; they will outlast all of us.

The downside is that you will miss at least part of a season, but if you hauled the boat in the fall, you might get in the water for sea trials by spring.

Are you installing new/reliabuilt injectors or having yours rebuilt somewhere?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I've seen the videos of a re-powered 53.... Fortunately, in more than one way, my 8V71TI's were rebuilt 900 hours ago so I would be a fool to yank them out. But if they ever get tired.......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

As Jim said the cummins reman program offer excellent value compared to new engines. A good cummins dealer should be able to run the numbers for you, set target speed and do the prop / shaft calculations.

I repowered my 53 MY two years ago with C series mechanical and I m glad I did. I can now cruise at 17 kts and top at 20, which is exactly what the prop shop had estimated. I wish I could have gone for the more powerful QSC but that wasn’t in the budget especially since it would have meant larger shafts.

Yes like everything once you put the new engines on your boat, they instantly loose 50% of their value but since you use the boat a lot, it is probably worth it for you unless you find a boat you like already repowered
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

In other words, the best bad investment you’re likely to ever make.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Are you installing new/reliabuilt injectors or having yours rebuilt somewhere?
    No. Custom properly rebuilt injectors with matched high and low flow rates from Metro Injection in Deep River, CT.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau