Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the purpose of this tank?

53MY 1979 mid cabin stateroom has a tank under the berth closest to the center of the boat. No access to it. Any idea what it is for? Not blackwater. Freshwater is across the transom in the aft stateroom.

Re: What is the purpose of this tank?

There are two fresh water tanks on the 53', that is one of them, the other is in the transom (as you said). They are connected as one.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Water tank. Make sure the value is open. It’s in the master cabins closet. On the bottom right side.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have the same year 53’. Reach out for help anytime. What is your hull number?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

My 50MY is the predecessor of the 53MY and I have three water tanks. External fill goes into the aft (across stern) tank. Starting when all tanks are empty water goes first down to lowest spot, the aft keel tank beneath the master stateroom deck. After this fills water goes probably nearly equally up into the tank under the center guest bunk and into the aft stern tank. When all three are full water will exit through the two external vents, one outside guest cabin, other out stern on stbd. Then you know you are as full as you can get.

Metama posted a diagram showing the 53 MY contrasted with the 58Y which deleted the aft keel tank.

Be very careful not to fill too fast as these baffled fiberglass tanks are only tested to 4 psi. They may take more but you do not want to find out!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Indeed it s the third water tank as others have mentioned. Mine doesn’t a valve though.

Filler is hooked up to the transom tank which has a large hose connecting to the keel tank under the floor with access in the master closet. When the keel tank is full water fills the tank under the guest room bed. Each tank has its own vent but the copper pipes are too small so tanks may get pressurized if you fill in too fast.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

There aren't three tanks on a 79' 53' MY, only two. Unless someone added another one.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Later boats with the OEM centerline queen did not have the tank across the transom. They needed to remove that to get the bed back far enough to be able to walk around it. In its place was another 3rd tank in the foot of the queen bed. So there were still 3 tanks; one in the queen, one keel, and one under the mid bunk for a total of 287 gallons.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

TWO tanks in the later 53MY. One under the foot of the master centerline bed, if so equipped and one in the inboard VIP bed. Keel tanks are fuel, one in aft and one in center. Forward keel tank is one of two waste water tanks. I think the Yachtfish does have three tanks, or two different ones can't remember, but the MY has two.

## 22 and 23
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-21-2020 at 10:00 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Thanks for all the replies. I was suspicious that it was a second water tank.