Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1973 Ford 427 Engines in Hatteras

The engines seem to start and run fine but evidence of oil leakage from oil pan to block seal and maybe some higher up, perhaps around exhaust manifolds?
    Any easy fix or do I have to remove and replace the gaskets?
    Can I drop the oil pan and replace the gaskets without lifting the engines? Is there some other place where oil leakage might occur?
    By the way, the engines have seldom ever been run over 2000 - 2500rpm in about 15 years based on conversation with two previous owners. Would this have any effect?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Maurice; 09-19-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Re: 1973 Ford 427 Engines in Hatteras

I have the same engines on my Chris Craft.

If there's evidence of oil seepage down the sides of the engine then there's really only three places it can come from. Valve covers, oil pan or fuel pump. I'd check the bolt tightness on all three and be careful not to over tighten because if you snap a bolt, you'll likely be in a world of hurt. Follow torque specs for that engine. On my Chris craft there is room under the engine to drop the oil pan and replace gaskets if necessary.

Another culprit for oil seepage on that engine are the oil lines leading from the oil pump to the external filter (it's a side oiler). Chris craft used copper tube for those lines with 45 degree flare fittings. Over time the lines start to crack at the ends and/or they come loose from the fittings. I replaced all my oil lines last year with Parker heavy duty wire braided hose.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

BTW, we run our engines pretty much in the same speed range with perhaps 10% of engine hours on plane at 3200-3400RPM. My sister is risk averse to running a boat on plane. Also we never run those engines past 3500rpm.

Currently have around 2K hours on each engine and they run like new. Literally have people come down the dock and ask if the boat has the 427 Ford engines when it's at idle in the marina at least once a year.

Two years ago we had a guy offer us $25K cash just for the engine and a pair of Crusader replacements. Didn't consider the offer for a nanosecond.

Those engines are amazing.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    BTW, we run our engines pretty much in the same speed range with perhaps 10% of engine hours on plane at 3200-3400RPM. My sister is risk averse to running a boat on plane. Also we never run those engines past 3500rpm.

Currently have around 2K hours on each engine and they run like new. Literally have people come down the dock and ask if the boat has the 427 Ford engines when it's at idle in the marina at least once a year.

Two years ago we had a guy offer us $25K cash just for the engine and a pair of Crusader replacements. Didn't consider the offer for a nanosecond.

Those engines are amazing.

in my hat, getting at everything to drop the pan would be a bear plus there is only about 2" of clearance underneath.
    as miboatnutz said, check the valve covers too. people almost always overtighten them and bend them.
    i run at 3250-3300 on plane also, probably do that 30% of the time. they are great but quirky motors.
    the engine circulating pump and remote oil filter design are assinine. the engineer should be poked in the eye repeatedly.
    might want to replace the orig distributers with DUI's if you haven't already. not cheap, but might be the best money i've spent.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN