Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Question for Rolls battery users

I have my first set of Rolls batteries installed in my 32v house bank and I have a question about servicing the water level. On the starboard side with 8v/195’s I use a water bottle that has a device that stops adding water when the level reaches the correct place. However the Rolls batteries have a much greater space above the plates, do I still fill to the same level? I have been splitting the difference so that the water is about 1/2 way between the plates and the top where the cap goes. This is approximately where the level was when they were installed.

Do I need a different servicing bottle to set the level lower below the cap or do I just fill to the same place as the 8v/195’s which would put a lot more water into each cell. I didn’t have any luck answering this question by looking on the Rolls website. BTW, I am not filling to the very top , but to the level of the plastic “tube” that the cap plugs into. This is where the spout of the water bottle stops when inserted and is essentially where I fill all my lead acid batteries.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Question for Rolls battery users

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    I have my first set of Rolls batteries installed in my 32v house bank and I have a question about servicing the water level. On the starboard side with 8v/195’s I use a water bottle that has a device that stops adding water when the level reaches the correct place. However the Rolls batteries have a much greater space above the plates, do I still fill to the same level? I have been splitting the difference so that the water is about 1/2 way between the plates and the top where the cap goes. This is approximately where the level was when they were installed. Do I need a different servicing bottle to set the level lower below the cap or do I just fill to the same place as the 8v/195’s which would put a lot more water into each cell. I didn’t have any luck answering this question by looking on the Rolls website. BTW, I am not filling to the very top , but to the level of the plastic “tube” that the cap plugs into. This is where the spout of the water bottle stops when inserted and is essentially where I fill all my lead acid batteries.
    Who would know better than Rolls?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

They have a customer service number. I've used it more than once. Very helpful.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

They show two contradictory levels: 1/4” below the bottom of the tube and 2.5” below the top of the tube. Filling to the 2.5” level has the bottom of the tube submerged in the electrolyte. I’ll call them on Monday.

I found a piece of hose that fitted my filler bottle and cut it to 2.5” below the top surface of the tube like Rolls shows in their drawing.

https://www.rollsbattery.com/wp-cont...id-Reserve.pdf
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Warning.... includes speculation and educated guesses.

So elsewhere I told the tale of my 8V batteries sitting in an acid bath and the fun filled hours of cleaning that up.

PO left me with the "push down until it stops gurgling" water bottle. Aside from the fact that these are not precision instruments and can easily over fill, when working properly it brought the water up to a hair above the bottom of the "collar". Suspect he went a little further "to make sure" as he was using the boat little this spring and summer.

I stuck a piece of paper folded in a "V" shape for rigidity in there and the plates are a good 2-1/2" under the top of the cap. That's a LOT more than the average automotive battery,

My MO henceforth is to keep about 1-1/2" above the plates which puts me about 1/2 below the collar. I will have to check/water more often but there is less chance of a mess.

I will also bring in my specific gravity measuring device to see if this is materially affecting the SOC of the battery. I suspect it won't, or not enough to not make up for the potential mess it can create.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I have kept mine at about a 1/2 in below the tube. Plates are fully covered of course and I have not had a boil over.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

get this, stop the guessing, save tons of time, safer.
    https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-ca...es/pro-fill-3/

called the company, they put together a custom setup with the parts needed for each battery box. They sent the plan to me and a friendly distributor about 5 miles down the road from them. Received in a week or so with all of the correct fittings and enough hose. Assembled easily..

fantastic. I'm a fan.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    get this, stop the guessing, save tons of time, safer.
    https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-ca...es/pro-fill-3/

called the company, they put together a custom setup with the parts needed for each battery box. They sent the plan to me and a friendly distributor about 5 miles down the road from them. Received in a week or so with all of the correct fittings and enough hose. Assembled easily..

fantastic. I'm a fan.

Do you mind me asking how much these kits cost? I'm having a little trouble sourcing them up here in Canada.

Thanks in advance.
    Gary
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

I’m on my second set of four 8D rolls batteries. The first set went 13 years and the second set is going along fine at 6 years. They cycle through the inverter use (xantrex MS 2000) and start the mains. I have always kept the water level just touching the collar below the cap. This still allows expansion space inside the case. The absolute voltage variance between filling the electrolyte to the bottom of the collar or 1” lower would be insignificant imo