Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bilge hygene....

Not as spotless as some, but dry and relatively clean, I would like to keep my bilges that way.

Everyone probably knows this, but just in case I found these. They sit perfectly on either side of the glassed in bilge connector tube that runs under the engine and they are just a skosh shy of the perfect length....They are hard enough (easy now boys) to push under from one side.

Caution 1: The box of 20 is a bad deal versus 5.....
    Caution 2: Referring to these as "Elephant Tampons" may not go over well with the Admiral.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-18-2020 at 11:17 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Bilge hygene....

You want ones that don’t absorb water. Look at New Pig we bought from them commercially
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    You want ones that don’t absorb water. Look at New Pig we bought from them commercially
    That makes sense, although there is little or no water that finds its way into that section.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The last thing I would want is a water absorbing sock under there. They will get full of water way before oil and then will have to be changed out, its a messy job. I lay the white polypropalene pads under the engines to spot any leaks. They do not absorb water so if any does get in there it will not mix with the oil and can be pumped out. Sometime if there is enough water in the forward bilge spaces it can run back over the dams when up on plane.

Walt Hoover

They get nasty. Clean your bilge, dry your bilge, paint your bilge.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Sometime if there is enough water in the forward bilge spaces it can run back over the dams when up on plane.

Walt Hoover
    There is no water in my forward bilge spaces. Or any other bilge spaces for that matter. If there is something is very wrong. ANY water gets dried up immediately. I like early warning.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I use those square bilge diapers, too. About four under each engine. I keep a stack of them in the engine room, between the diesels. Also make crawling in and out of there a lot easier. A 36' doesn't have the engine room space you all do.

Speaking of bilge hygiene, some may recall I've experimented with controlling the fore and aft shift of casual bilge water. I'm now happy with the results, so I've made the change, more or less, permanent.
    IMG_2129.jpg
    This is the starboard engine room sump. There is nothing forward that should generate bilge water. The only minor challenge was getting the standpipe the correct height. Accordingly, the bilge forward of this point has been bone dry for a month. Should there be some water up there, it's easy to detect by merely looking down into the 3/4" PVC standpipe. And, the standpipe is the perfect size for slipping on a shop vac hose. So, HVAC condensate, sea strainer clean-outs, rudder post weep and wash-downs are now better confined. Based on how this has worked out, the port side is about to follow.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Ok, since I am a follower and copy cat of all things Mr Clarkson right down to his painting schedule for the bilge areas I want to get this correct. This, lets call it a standpipe, is connected to the drain tube that is glassed into the floor of the engine sump area and connects the area under the stuffing boxes to the bilge in front of the engine. Will you share the height of the standing peice or do i suscribe to your patreon page on you tube to get plans and rights to use this improvement. Also are you using 4200 to keep it all together?

Thank you and best regards, your work is second to none.
    Walt Hoover