Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

58LRC Emergency Tiller?

While I can' imaging attempting to steer this beast with a hand tiller, there is a item in the lazarette marked emergency tiller.

Does anyone know if this was a standard item on the LRC or how it works?

Re: 58LRC Emergency Tiller?

Pure speculation. Possibly a way to center and secure the rudders after loss of steering underway. I once used a ratchet strap to center mine after a hydraulic line blew. Crisscrossed, rudders were secure and steered by throttle.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

3. Re: 58LRC Emergency Tiller?

It would be well worth your time and money to join the LRC club. The emergency tillers were recently discussed through our list service http://www.hatteraslrc.com I would highly recommend anyone owning LRC join.
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY

A friend of mine had a 38 Gulfstar trawler and it had an emergency tiller arm. You removed a drawer from the rear and it locked onto the rudder I think. It would be had work down in an aft cabin but better than loosing steering.

Walt Hoover

Every sailboat I've owned, or know of, that was not a tiller boat had one. There are also some pretty cool stories about off shore sailors losing their rudder and rigging a bridle of the stern with a small drogue on it led to two winches in the cockpit. By changing the center of the bridle laterally behind the boat they had steerage underway and went thousands of miles.

When I got my last sailboat, a 42' Catalina, there were numerous stories on the forums of the stainless rudder posts corroding right where they went into the FRP rudder. Stainless needs air to be stainless..... There were a few cases where the rudder had broken off. Since I was planning, and did, some well off shore sailing I put on a new rudder. The thing was massive and had to drop down several feet for the post to clear the boat. Rather than spend money hanging in a travel lift waaay above the ground being rushed I had it blocked and dug a rather large hole to drop it in. Fun and games.

Of course with two props and a bow thruster this should never be an issue.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay