Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: designing aft stair project

Here is another shot of my platform steps. Tide is super high today but I can easily step on the lowest step. I always have a step at the right height. And a grab rail for safety so carrying bags is easy.

Not sure if I m going to paint the edges or finish with a strip of varnished wood. Steps and platform have been done with Kiwigrip. Great stuff
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Here's my approachRoyal Island Sunrise.jpg
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

A better shot of my arrangementswimplat2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    A better shot of my arrangementAttachment 43496
    Did the guy in the water fall down the stairs?

Looks like a nice execution of the solution. I like the idea of clean and self supported. Although I think stainless would look great.

Whats the tread look like?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Extending the swim platform and making a staircase seems far better than cutting into the hull. This kind of modification could make the boat difficult to sell .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Did the guy in the water fall down the stairs?

Looks like a nice execution of the solution. I like the idea of clean and self supported. Although I think stainless would look great.

Whats the tread look like?
    LOL, no this pic was taken for a Facebook post about my buddy in the water diving to retrieve a pair of prescription sunglasses. (He got them back in 11' of water)

Agree, stainless would be nice but painted aluminum works and that's what came with the boat.

The tread is weathered teak. Not stunning, but serves the purpose.

A few changes underway. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images

I like although it takes a big chunk of an already small aft deck. I had seen something like that and considered it but chickened out. How are you going to do the bottom. The boat I had seeen (I think it was a customized burger) has the bottom half of the steps hinged so they could fold up over the top section leaving a flat deck. I thought it was brilliant but it was just too much work for me.

Love the hull color btw. When I finally repaint mine it will be either that blue or fighting lady yellow
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

That's a great idea about the last few steps. Thx for the suggestion! We rarely use the aft deck so losing some of it was as small sacrifice weighted against the benefit of (1) creating an easier way to board the boat from a floating dock and (2) creating safer water access when swimming. We spend most our out time up top or at the bow.

Thinking about extending the swim platform, moving stairs to starboard, and using single center pipe support like dottieshusband pix poster earlier. Curving the pipe, but not quite a spiral. My boat is in Chattanooga, so maybe the tower builder is still available? Any idea what it costs and what is available to extend platform to let's say 4'? Need to have her hauled soon as it's been 4 years, and the closest lift is in Knoxville anyway. Cheers everyone
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"