Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

designing aft stair project

My have a, 1989 65’ motor yacht without the cockpit. Heading down the aft ladder is difficult for the family. I was thinking of a few options. The easiest thing would be to build stainless spiral stairs and attach to the swim platform and the transom, but I don’t love the look. Nor do I like the look of a lateral staircase on the swim platform. Extending this boat is not worth the money. Another option is to cut into the transom and glass in 3 curved steps and then build a few of the remaining steps on the swim platform. This would have a more modern look. I asked a marine surveyor who said if done properly it would not compromise the integrity of the hull. Wondering if anyone has ever seen this or has any other ideas. Inkedtransom_LI.jpg

Re: designing aft stair project

I hated the ladder so I built stairs instead. Much easier access to the platform and also I always have one step near dock level so no more stairs

The steps are Coosa cored fibetglass, all 3/4” core except the top which is one inch. The top step is larger and supported by a 1” SS tube at a 45 degree angle. The other steps are supported by another 1” SS tube that runs from the top step to the platform along with a short piece of tube at 90deg angle from The main support.

Very happy with it. Should have done it years ago

Each step is supported along the transom by a piece of 3/4” starboard screwed in
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We also have a problem climbing up and down the ladder on the stern. Why they made them straight up and down is beyond me. I went to a local metal fabricator with a drawing pitching the ladder out so that the last rung was almost even with the end of the swim step and then curved back into the transom where it would connect again. The cost of that about a year ago was $1700. Although very pricey for a short ladder I may have to go that direction because my wife is refusing to climb up and down that straight ladder. Keep us in the loop as to what you decide.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Yeah, I haven't tried to make the Admiral do that yet either. She doesn't swim in the wild, but dinghy boarding is in the future. On top of that our platform is quite narrow.... getting around the ladder is tricky. Mulling all this over.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I'm thinking to cut out the space between the windows and build two or three lateral steps that would protrude into the master stateroom above the water tank and probably a bit above the bed. And after add a few exterior steps like Pascal did. transom2_LI.jpg copying this concept but not removing the transom all the way down to the platform because the water take is there. idea.jpg anybody worried about the hull integrity? ill obviously use a ton of glass and resin especially since the davit support post is a few feet away.

When we had our 4 foot swim platform made, I mounted it a bit higher than the old one which caused the ladder to be out a bit more at the bottom. Even though it was just a few inches that added angle made it a lot easier to climb. My 71 year old wife and our friends now have no trouble climbing it. You could achieve the same thing by adding a piece of starboard below the bottom of the ladder to force the bottom out. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I am watching this thread hopping the creatives come out!!! I have the same issues and would like to build a set of stairs, but I have "power input pods on either side of my transom, and would have to get very creative to come off the side. Hate my latter as it is in front of the name, and quite steep. Maybe Ill build an entire new platform with curved stairs from each side... (dreams are good right?) Any way show us you solutions folks.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Quote Originally Posted by riverrandy View Post
    Hate my latter as it is in front of the name, and quite steep.
    "LADY...........KAY V" is two words. I ordered the name with spaces where the periods are (forum takes out spaces) to not have it under the ladder. Ladder is off right now to refinish the treads and put the new name on the stern....

One of the ideas I have is to make a two piece platform where the second piece is about 2/3 over top, hinged to flip out. The ladder would be vertical in a stored position with the base moving out on a track when the platform is flipped out. You would then have a large(r) platform with a ladder/stair at a reasonable angle. One side advantage of this is that your LOA doesn't get even larger.....
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-18-2020 at 10:41 AM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

If you are going to go through this kind of trouble and modification, wouldn't it make sense to just accept that you need a larger swim platform? Then it becomes much much simpler.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    If you are going to go through this kind of trouble and modification, wouldn't it make sense to just accept that you need a larger swim platform? Then it becomes much much simpler.
    It does... Don't like the looks much of these "decks" back there. Still thinking. All input welcome.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay