Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Navigating site/oil capacity

Hello, I’m looking for tips on how to navigate this site to search topics (oil change DD 671 and related, specifically)Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Pete Hewett. 1979 43DC. Grand Haven, MI

Re: Navigating site/oil capacity

My DD 6-71 TIB specs call for 28 qts capacity. My last oil change which my first with this boat used 10 gallons between the 2 engines per the billing statement from the people that maintain and store my boat. This put the level half way between full And low marks on my dipsticks with the engines cold. I have an oil change system. I am told that it is a gallon from low to mid dipstick marks or I assume from there to full mark. Hope this helps. These engines are in a 1988 Viking 44 Motoryacht.

My engines were marinized by Johnson and Tower.

The block and pan are still from DDC. Here is an old guide that I go by.
    Hopefully I got it large enough this time.
    Attached Images

The search function on this forum is not "all there". The best way I learnt (here) to search this forum is to do a search on Google, or your favorite search engine, in the format:

<<The subject of interest Hatteras Forum>>
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Sorry but I meant to say 1/2 gallon from low to mid dipstick marks which does fit with the chart indicating 4 quarts from low to full.

Thank you for responding. All very helpful. I’m about to dive into the ER and tackle my first oil change on new to me boat. I’m adding 1/2 inch fittings on oil pan hose to match up with my pump fittings to suck it out. Much experience with spin on filters but these “canisters” will be a new experience.
    Pete Hewett. 1979 43DC. Grand Haven, MI

If your filters are mounted horizontally you will need a way to catch the oil in the filters. I use a 1gallon anti-freeze or oil jug with a 1” slot cut all the across the top on one side. I slide it under the bottom filter once I have broken it loose with a strap wrench or oil filter pliers and then loosen the filter until the oil flows out between the seal and the engine block. The oil leaks out of the lower filter into the slot in the jug draining both filters. I then carefully remove the jug and pour the oil into my pail. Be careful not to cut the slot so low that it will not hold all the drained oil when you turn it upright.

I have a 12-71 with a pair of horizontal filters. If yours are vertical then disregard this! BTW if you use NAPA 1970 filters, you will save $6 each by buying the ProPack filters without the cardboard box! Their special blend low ash oil for Detroits is p/n NL 75118 for a 5 gallon pail.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

If your oil drain hoses are mounted in the center of your pans as mine are you might consider using your dipstick tubes instead. They reach the bottom of the pan at the rear where the most oil can be extracted. 1/2” ID hose will push fit over the dipstick tubes. On our boat with an empty holding tank and full fuel tanks the center- mounted hoses may leave a gallon in the pan.
    Top Hatt ‘78 43’ DCFB #471 6-71Ns Oakley CA

Quote Originally Posted by Hewett View Post
    Thank you for responding. All very helpful. I’m about to dive into the ER and tackle my first oil change on new to me boat. I’m adding 1/2 inch fittings on oil pan hose to match up with my pump fittings to suck it out. Much experience with spin on filters but these “canisters” will be a new experience.
    So here's all you have to do.

IMG_0240.jpg
    Tupperware type container the length of the filters plus a wooden frame to support the tub. Add a bit of line on the inside (next to block) of the frame, and loop it over the exhaust manifold to hold up the free end. Stuff the tub with diapers. This solves the problem of the missing third hand.
    IMG_0239.jpg
    Always unscrew the bottom filter first, and have a bag lined 5 gallon bucket at the ready. Just changed my oil this week and spilled exactly nothing. A big improvement over my first oil change when the friend I had to help with the filters dropped a full one in the bilge.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC