Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Whole Engine Room Air Filter Assembly

I noticed the other day that there was negative air pressure in my engine rooms: the door felt like it was a tiny bit sticky when I opened it. The previous owner had built and installed an assembly to hold blue HVAC roll filter material to screen the top and side of the air inlet in the hull. We have been running for the past two years and almost 1000hrs on the existing filter medium, so I guess it was due.

I removed the filter housings and pulled off the old elements, they are just over 6’ long and the top was 14” wide and the onboard face was 10”. I got a roll of 1” filter material from the local HVAC supply house and swapped out the dirty old material. The old was still transmitting light, but was black and dusty on the side facing outboard while the new was bright blue and translucent. A quick start and run up of the engine on that side showed no lowered air pressure. The door swings open of its own accord while the engine is running now. It would not do so before.

I am guessing that these filters are one reason my Walker AirSeps stay clean and bright red from one year to the next and why I never have any dust in my engine room. I’m sure that this is a homemade assembly since there is no makers name on it. I still have to do the starboard side so if anyone wants pictures, I can take them tomorrow. A 36”x30’ roll was $100, Grainger has it in 1/2” and 1” for much less, but we are only here for a few more days.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Whole Engine Room Air Filter Assembly

I would be interested in this design. Pics and details please...
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

I’m just down the road at Cedar Island Marina in Clinton for the next 5 days or so. You are welcome to come look at them.... I’ll get pics, but there is nothing like seeing things in person.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Totally unrelated but I bought my 34 from Cedar Island Marine back in 92. Nice place.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

FWIW those vent panels are still available from SAM's. I bought a set for the 63' MY that I re-fit this Summer. They are obviously two pieces - the top and the front. 10x74 5/8. $222.00 each 14x74 5/8. $290.00 each.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I did exactly the same thing. I built a wood frame and then wrapped it with what sounds like the same material you’re using, I t’s waterproof so when I clean them I just take them out and hose them off, let them dry then reinstall. I would love to see your pictures.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I overstressed my back doing the port side, so I’m taking a couple of days off before doing the starboard side. I’ll post pics then.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Great. Another thing on my list.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Totally unrelated but I bought my 34 from Cedar Island Marine back in 92. Nice place.
    Totally unrelated but I kept my 42' Post at Cedar Island Marina 2005-2007.

Good you changed them out.

Here's what mine say. No way doing it at 50 hours but I do get around to them eventually. Yeah, Sam's sells replacements for 2-$300.

Behind that deco molding piece they are just rectangles sandwiched with staples and that material between them. Relatively flimsy.

Sorry pic sideways. Not sure how to fix that.
    Attached Images