Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cruisair help

Cruisair help

Working on the master stateroom A/C - 12,000 btu. The unit hasn't been cooling as well lately, so I set about to do the annual adding of a small amount of R-22. At this time, it's only cooling the air 17 deg. According to the charging curves in the installation & operation guide, I should be seeing around 62 psi on the suction and 175 psi on the discharge with the air & water temps we have. Seeing 58-59 on the suction and 230 on the discharge, superheat is between 11 and 12 deg, and the subcool 10-11 deg. Temps are cooling down here, 74 deg inside air temp and 67 deg water temp so I can understand the lower superheat numbers, but why am I running such a high head pressure? Restriction in the line? The air handler is clean. When put into heat mode, it blows some warm air for a short time until the compressor kicks off. The high side line, which should now be the suction when reversing is way too hot to touch. After running 20 -30 minutes cooling, the compressor starts to ice up. The air handler is not icing up. I haven't measured pressures when heating yet.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should look for?

Randy

Re: Cruisair help

Not getting rid of the heat. Clean the condenser.....Pat

And in heat mode not picking up heat from the water

Sorry about multiple posts but can’t edit from iPhone , so water flow could be issue also or dirty condenser / heat exchanger.Check water flow and strainer first.

Thanks Pat. I have not cleaned the condenser since we've had the boat. It's one of 5 units all fed by the same pump, the rest are working fine & good water flow so I didn't think about that. There could be a restriction in that condenser, especially since we went from saltwater to freshwater. I'll rig up the plumbing to backflush the system. Is everyone still recommending phosphoric acid diluted or do I go with barnacle buster?

Randy

I used ospho last time but do not remember the dilution . Although I think it was 1 acid to three water.....Pat

Thanks again Pat, I will give that a try

BB is phosphoric. 1:4 for motors. I’m a bit leery of that in HVAC. I’d go 1:5 or 6.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

One of my Two chillers threw a high pressure error yesterday even though i descaled it 6 months ago. The other one was fine so I turn off the valve at the manifold. Pulled the hoses and they were clear. Blowing thru the coil there was something in there that even dockside water pressure would not flush out. I broke the bucket and pump and 4:1 barnacle buster. Descaled for 45 minutes and all good now.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Definitely sounds like that's what I need to do. Robert, I will go with the 1:6 ratio. I'd rather play it safe. I'll let everyone know the results.

Thanks guys,

Randy