Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Older 41 C

Older 41 C

Hi all new to the forum but not old boats. I have owned and been around 25' - 45' boats most of my life, some gas bombs and some single diesel. That being said never owned a Hatteras but always wanted to. I love the late 60s and early 70s 36 and 41 C. I have found a couple of 41s pre 1970s
    around the Gulf Coast with Cummins b series power. I never have had any experience with these
    engines but read they are about the best bang for the buck and I don't want to do a repower or redo
    running gear.
    That puts me in the buy one already done down below category. I can handle interior, painting,
    fiberglass, windows and any other updates.
    I will be building/updating for next couple of years but before I put the money down need to know I will be happy in the end.
    I am mainly interested in cruising the Gulf Coast between Gulfport and Panama City and a few
    trips in the Gulf. Looking for a high teen cruise on plane without riding on the pins and 9- 10 knot
    slow cruise for economy.
    Any info on these old boats greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Older 41 C

You're on the right track. A repowered 41C will be a great boat. If you find one with C series cummins even better.
    Jack Sardina

17 kt cruise with original 8v53's. 280 hp. Each. They are great boats.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

i know of a 1969 41 with cummins 315hp that is in long beach ms. check your pm's

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    17 kt cruise with original 8v53's. 280 hp. Each. They are great boats.
    That's pretty impressive with that power. I think the older hulls were much more efficient than the newer ones. Any idea how much it weighs?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Weight? NADA shows 21,000 lbs. I may be wrong but i think the low dead rise has a lot to do with speed numbers. Hurts in a following sea as I have read. Seems newer hulls have so much more wetted surface. I don't plan on being out in the slop so not too concerned with big sea ride.
    Mainly looking for economy and simplicity.
    BTW I found the 41 in Longbeach. Gonna make contact and have a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    That's pretty impressive with that power. I think the older hulls were much more efficient than the newer ones. Any idea how much it weighs?
    Much narrower and a relatively shallow draft compared to the newer hulls. Keep in mind you cruise a natural at a higher RPM than most would cruise a turbo charged one. When I had the 8V71Ns in my 46C I cruised at 2150rpm and 16.5-17kts. WOT was 2300rpm and 18.5-19kts. I run the 65C with 12V92TAs at 1850rpm and about 21kts. At 2000rpm she'll run 23kts and just shy of 27kts at 2350rpm WOT. Much bigger gap between cruise sppeds and WOT. Rated cruise is still 2150rpm but most don't run them there. Those that do usually plan on rebuilds every 2500-3000 hours
    Last edited by saltshaker; 05-13-2015 at 12:42 PM.
    Jack Sardina

2300 cruise. 2750 to 2800 wot. I get 17 at cruise at about 23 gph. She is all of 35000 lbs loaded. Best speed at wot was 21 kts.

The 42 is 4 inches longer, 4 inches narrower and a foot deeper up front. 40000 lbs and needs 425 to 450 hp per side to run just a tad faster.

41 series ll is deeper and needs more hp to plane.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Anybody know the beam and draft of a series II 36C? My experience seems to parallel boatsb's with 260s I can cruise at 20 kts, but the series IIs seem to need about 100 more ponies per side.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Cruise4, I see your getting some good info here as I knew you would. Get what you can out this thread but be easy going on some of the responses. A few threads here seem to get "slightly" off topic! Hope the boat turns out decent.