Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: wifi gauge senders

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    You can always use a couple resistors to allow the Chetco to measure 32v.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

You want the two resistors to have high ohms, so that they use almost no current. You can drop the 0 to 36v range down to whatever range you need for the Chetco.
    Thank you. I will do that. If I wanted to say, cut the voltage in half, what ohms/volt resisters would you suggest?

To divide the input voltage in half, the two resistors will be the same. I would use 10k Ohm resistors like in this example.

http://www.learningaboutelectronics....-resistors.php

You could even use 33k Ohm resistors for even less current draw. 10k will give about 3 milliamps, which is pretty low already. 33k will be only 1 milliamp. The resistors are your common small 1/4 watt variety because there is virtually no current involved. The two resistors are connected in series across the 32v source and the sensor wire is connected between them. It will be 16v.

Also remember that you will have to connect the ground of the Chetco to the 32v ground (-) side, as well as the 12v ground.

Resistors are not exact (common variety are +/- 5%) but you can calibrate the Chetco device.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    To divide the input voltage in half, the two resistors will be the same. I would use 10k Ohm resistors like in this example.

http://www.learningaboutelectronics....-resistors.php

You could even use 33k Ohm resistors for even less current draw. 10k will give about 3 milliamps, which is pretty low already. 33k will be only 1 milliamp. The resistors are your common small 1/4 watt variety because there is virtually no current involved. The two resistors are connected in series across the 32v source and the sensor wire is connected between them. It will be 16v.

Also remember that you will have to connect the ground of the Chetco to the 32v ground (-) side, as well as the 12v ground.

Resistors are not exact (common variety are +/- 5%) but you can calibrate the Chetco device.
    Thank you very much for the information. We plan to install the Chetco sometime in the near future, now that we know it can do what we want.

Chetco. The chetco guy will install the resister for you. He is going to do that for me to monitor the bilge pumps.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

Quote Originally Posted by metama View Post
    Chetco. The chetco guy will install the resister for you. He is going to do that for me to monitor the bilge pumps.
    Thanks for the info.

Resurrecting this thread for any updates. The noland conversion was done back in 2019 and several stated they were going with Chetco. Is this still the best way to go, or has the technology changed? Thx MARK
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Thx for the info. I'll read about it
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Also look at KUS (the people who bought WEMA) who seem to greatly expanded into instrumentation and networked sensors.

https://kus-usa.com/

DAN