Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wifi gauge senders

My gauges need replacing and my alarm system is in-op. Was reading about analog to digital converter with NEMA or wifi outputs. So, rather than replace the originals what do you think about using the analog to digital converter, displaying gauges on a tablet or garmin display and also set the alarms there. Planning on updating the electronics with a garmin set up: radar, auto pilot, plotters, etc Here is a link to the Chetco converter. Price shows $795 for two engines. Looking for opinions Thx
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Re: wifi gauge senders

Garmin has a pretty nice interface if you can program it.

Each engine will probably need an interface. More than one is available but one i was interested in never seems to be in stock. Its not rocket surgery
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Researching that very subject, don't have an opinion yet. Did discover however that Aetna has a digital converter that goes between the pump and the cable to your synch.... This to feed your tach.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    My gauges need replacing and my alarm system is in-op. Was reading about analog to digital converter with NEMA or wifi outputs. So, rather than replace the originals what do you think about using the analog to digital converter, displaying gauges on a tablet or garmin display and also set the alarms there. Planning on updating the electronics with a garmin set up: radar, auto pilot, plotters, etc Here is a link to the Chetco converter. Price shows $795 for two engines. Looking for opinions Thx
    I did this last year ...

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?33174-Digital-Gauges&highlight=digital+gauges

The Garmin MFD works very well with the setup, including using the iPad, and I have a Quatix 6 watch as well and can display the stats live on it as well. I chose the MD-33 because by weird coincidence, their (small) office was only a block away from my marina. It runs continuously and hasn't stopped or been restarted since I installed it. The firmware is rock solid.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 09-16-2020 at 12:26 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I was looking at the Chetco but it appears that it will not monitor 32v charging. The Noland does, but does not appear to be Wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    I was looking at the Chetco but it appears that it will not monitor 32v charging. The Noland does, but does not appear to be Wifi.
    You can always use a couple resistors to allow the Chetco to measure 32v.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

You want the two resistors to have high ohms, so that they use almost no current. You can drop the 0 to 36v range down to whatever range you need for the Chetco.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 09-16-2020 at 06:21 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I just bought a Yacht Devices NMEA Wifi router. Installing it this weekend. Idea is to push all the NMEA data from the entire boat out onto a wifi network so any device has access to it.

https://www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_router.html

The NMEA router is limited to three devices on wifi, however, you can connect (via wireless) to a standard home wifi router for almost unlimited access. With that in mind as well as general PC use, I purchased a TP Link Wireless router. Unit actually runs on 12 VDC, so going to wire that in with the rest of the ship's elctronics

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

I think if you want to connect to the engine data via WiFi (iPhone etc) specifically, then Chetco is the choice. I was between the Noland and Chetco (they are roughly the same price). Like I wrote in my original post, Noland happened to be next door and there are next to no real life stories out there of people using this stuff. So I was leery of all of them. Being able to visit the Noland office alleviated those worries. Also, my plan was to integrate the data with my Garmin MFD via NMEA. I didn't want to have to hassle with another iPhone or tablet, so WiFi was secondary. I can display the engine data with my chart data and see it all on the Garmin while driving.

Finally, the Noland also connects to a PC via USB and I have that connected to my ship computer which I can access not only via the ship WiFi, but also from anywhere (like home) to monitor the systems (shore power, 32v power, 12v power and the bilge pumps). And as miboatnutz pointed out, I have all of the critical pieces (PC, Noland, WiFi, Rouge WiFi) powered on 12v so that it is up even with a power outage. Fortunately, the native voltage for routers and mini PCs is already 12v. My non-critical stuff (Media server, Automated lighting, Security cameras) are on 120v. I do however have those items on a small UPS so that when I switch from shore power to generator, they remain powered and don't have to reboot.

Electronics.jpg
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I think if you want to connect to the engine data via WiFi (iPhone etc) specifically, then Chetco is the choice. I was between the Noland and Chetco (they are roughly the same price). Like I wrote in my original post, Noland happened to be next door and there are next to no real life stories out there of people using this stuff. So I was leery of all of them. Being able to visit the Noland office alleviated those worries. Also, my plan was to integrate the data with my Garmin MFD via NMEA. I didn't want to have to hassle with another iPhone or tablet, so WiFi was secondary. I can display the engine data with my chart data and see it all on the Garmin while driving.

Finally, the Noland also connects to a PC via USB and I have that connected to my ship computer which I can access not only via the ship WiFi, but also from anywhere (like home) to monitor the systems (shore power, 32v power, 12v power and the bilge pumps). And as miboatnutz pointed out, I have all of the critical pieces (PC, Noland, WiFi, Rouge WiFi) powered on 12v so that it is up even with a power outage. Fortunately, the native voltage for routers and mini PCs is already 12v. My non-critical stuff (Media server, Automated lighting, Security cameras) are on 120v. I do however have those items on a small UPS so that when I switch from shore power to generator, they remain powered and don't have to reboot.

Attachment 43267
    Well that's interesting! I was going to go with Noland based on your efforts previously. Figured it'd be a breeze since you blazed the trail! Now I gotta rethink everything! Lol.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Well that's interesting! I was going to go with Noland based on your efforts previously. Figured it'd be a breeze since you blazed the trail! Now I gotta rethink everything! Lol.
    Well, I am just saying, if you are going for an iPhone/Tablet type of use, then Chetco has that. if you are going for a chart plotter / PC use, then I would say I have blazed the trail. I also do not think the Chetco unit will do 3 interfaces, so you can't have WiFi, NMEA and PC at the same time. I haven't confirmed this, but all of their available choices indicate that the unit has only 2 communication channels. Not a killer, just something to be aware of. For me, I had to have the PC involved for remote monitoring (from home). And I had to have NMEA. Thus, without the WiFi, it is like the Noland.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 09-16-2020 at 08:31 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL