Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Navigable waterways?

This may be a stupid question, but how do you find a navigable waterway if you are not familiar with an area? Is there a list or a book of known routes throughout the U.S.?

Thanks!

Re: Navigable waterways?

Charts. Best way to orient yourself in an area is to look at raster charts. (digital versions of paper charts). Also many states have websites highlighting their waterways. You can also look at Active Captain on line. If there's marinas and buoys.... it's navigable.

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/Map
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Charts. Best way to orient yourself in an area is to look at raster charts. (digital versions of paper charts). Also many states have websites highlighting their waterways. You can also look at Active Captain on line. If there's marinas and buoys.... it's navigable.

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/Map
    Thank you, I checked this out and it has all the details of bridge clearances etc.
    I was trying to use Navionics and it did not have the same level of detail at all.

I will be looking more into this!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Thank you, I checked this out and it has all the details of bridge clearances etc.
    I was trying to use Navionics and it did not have the same level of detail at all.

I will be looking more into this!
    Navionics has all the detail, it's just not at the surface. you have to click and dig.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Start with an Atlas. You’re not alone in not knowing if you can get there from here.

Had a guy contact me about moving a boat he planned to purchase from Pittsburgh to Tampa. When I gave him an itinerary, he said the river route sounded fun, but he wanted to run the ICW down the east coast. See above.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Start with an Atlas. You’re not alone in not knowing if you can get there from here.

Had a guy contact me about moving a boat he planned to purchase from Pittsburgh to Tampa. When I gave him an itinerary, he said the river route sounded fun, but he wanted to run the ICW down the east coast. See above.
    A loooong time ago a (new) airline crew scheduler called me to inform me we were to take a taxi from Hyannis MA to Martha's Vineyard.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

A loooong time ago a (new) airline crew scheduler called me to inform me we were to take a taxi from Hyannis MA to Martha's Vineyard.
    Schwimmwagen.jpg
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Mapquest would give some interesting directions to my then lake house some 20 years ago. It would list a series of turns and distances, then after the last one, it would say it's a half mile to your destination. Yep, that's how wide the river was as it gave directions to the wrong side. From that point it was about 25 miles by land. Moral of the story, always have a boat around while traveling.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Mapquest would give some interesting directions to my then lake house some 20 years ago. It would list a series of turns and distances, then after the last one, it would say it's a half mile to your destination. Yep, that's how wide the river was as it gave directions to the wrong side. From that point it was about 25 miles by land. Moral of the story, always have a boat around while traveling.
    Now that is funny. Swim the rest of the way,or drive a swimwagon as show above!

https://www.waterwayguide.com/

If you prefer a guidebook to Active captain.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750