Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Search light not moving.

Had mine all apart when I had it rechromed. Its not difficult to figure out. You just need to take it apart.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Progress.... In the litany of unlabeled switches overhead the lower helm I found two off to the side I had not considered yet. In the light of a modern military grade flashlight I was able to make out the letters "Searchlight" and "Flybridge" and "Lower"

It lives! Although it was only moving through the 1 to 5 o'clock position. Then I went out and discovered the light itself is loose on it's mount. Soooo, at some point we'll do the old card board box around the base a la winch disassembly trick and go in there. At this point cautiously optimistic some minot adjustments will get this thing off the MX list and in operational status!

(As an aside another switch I tried put anti freeze on my three pristine windows....sigh.)
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

"antifreeze on three pristine windows" pull my finger

We recently bought our boat, I had no communications with prior owners, I also have no prior experience with a larger boat, I have always had sail boats with very few systems. I had a great two months crossing my fingers and pulling out switches, chasseing wires and figuring out things. The boat is in great shape and very few of the wires have been molested .I am indeed impressed with the wiring that was done by Hatteras, We have learned a great deal about the boat and her systems. Our plans are to take her round the loop with extra side trips the next few years. Oh ya there sure isn't much "room" in engine-room for a six foot 230 pound guy on a 43DC.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Hey fellas,

I thought I'd bump this old thread about my 8" Ray-Line searchlight. I've got everything going - been quite a learning curve.

I found out my light is a 24v. All the 8" were 24v and the 7" and other sizes were 12v. It was only getting 12v at the switch and that could've been a problem.
    I bought a 28v aircraft landing bulb because it was the only 8" sealed beam bulb I could find. It was only 30 bucks. It's way too powerful...but we'll see.

My last challenge might be pretty easy, but I'm stumped. The light turns every way but up. You can see the gear turning and it's slipping. So, the clutch in there needs to be tightened, right?
    Well, can someone give me clue as to how to adjust the clutches inside the gears?? I took some time, sitting there staring at the damned thing - and I'm stumped! There's no screw on the side of it or anything.

You pretty well have to take it apart to be able to adjust the slip clutch. It's been a while since I did mine, but here are a couple of pics of it in pieces.
    Attached Images
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Had mine rebuilt by LB Harvey Marine in Miami. They did a great job. Works/looks like new.
    Bill Allison
    Hatt 1988 60MY Grateful.
    Wilson Lake, Killen AL

7. Re: Search light not moving.

Before going too crazy, start with some easy things. Try greasing everything up and get all the parts to moving freely. The grease and gunk tend to get hard over time, making the light movement difficult. The clutches may not slip if you free them up. I had a bunch of crud that prevented movement. I also found that the wiring harness was old and needed to be replaced.

I think these old lights are one of the most beautiful parts of a vintage Hatteras. The previous owner of SCUSI had replaced the light with a modern light, it just didn’t look right to me. Fortunately, he saved the original light.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    I think these old lights are one of the most beautiful parts of a vintage Hatteras.
    I agree. Although I have done enough nocturnal navigating (in the air and on the water) to know my aging eyes are becoming a liability and I don't HAVE to do it anymore, keeping that light functional is a matter of restorers pride.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamboat View Post
    You pretty well have to take it apart to be able to adjust the slip clutch. It's been a while since I did mine, but here are a couple of pics of it in pieces.
    Damn - that's why I've never worked on my own transmissions. Looks tricky.

Before I start disassembling, I just don't understand what holds all those gears and clutches together and squeezed to a proper torque.
    In your 2nd picture, is it the cap looking piece right next to your yellow screwdriver? If that's the torque mechanism, I might just oil and tighten it a bit to see if that makes the slipping gear grab a little. At least then I'll know the deal.

Thanks for posting those pics. I should have taken a pic of mine - because I can't remember what it looks like sitting here in the office.

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    Before going too crazy, start with some easy things. Try greasing everything up and get all the parts to moving freely. The grease and gunk tend to get hard over time, making the light movement difficult. The clutches may not slip if you free them up. I had a bunch of crud that prevented movement. I also found that the wiring harness was old and needed to be replaced.

I think these old lights are one of the most beautiful parts of a vintage Hatteras. The previous owner of SCUSI had replaced the light with a modern light, it just didn’t look right to me. Fortunately, he saved the original light.
    I think so too. The big light belongs up on the tower...looks right. I'll probably buy another if this one can't work.

I had to replace the bulb and everything is right there behind it. Yelling to my buddy to turn it every which way, I oiled and cleaned it pretty thoroughly....being careful to avoid the gears and clutches.
    Everything works except the upward movement. That motion slips even with the weight off. So, it's really slipping.

If I can get this old mess working, it'll be a bigger source of pride than fixing the old 20KW!
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 05-12-2021 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Damn - that's why I've never worked on my own transmissions. Looks tricky.

Before I start disassembling, I just don't understand what holds all those gears and clutches together and squeezed to a proper torque.
    In your 2nd picture, is it the cap looking piece right next to your yellow screwdriver? If that's the torque mechanism, I might just oil and tighten it a bit to see if that makes the slipping gear grab a little. At least then I'll know the deal.

Thanks for posting those pics. I should have taken a pic of mine - because I can't remember what it looks like sitting here in the office.

The "cap looking piece" has nothing to do with the torque settings. It goes on top of the housing (see attached pic). I believe the donut looking piece beside the yellow screw driver is the part that needs to be adjusted. It's been a while since I've had it apart though.
    Attached Images
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"