Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search light not moving.

Light works... but won't move from either station. Let's start with a fuse. Any suggestion for a location?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Search light not moving.

Most search lights do not work at this age. Some rebuild them, some replace them. I replaced mine, but kept the original in a box in case I ever plan to rebuild it.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Most search lights do not work at this age. Some rebuild them, some replace them. I replaced mine, but kept the original in a box in case I ever plan to rebuild it.
    Bummer. What part of it fails? Drive motors?
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Pull it apart. There are two motors. One side to side one up and down. Test those and replace as needed. You might find old bees 🐝 nest in there.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Mostly, the gears and mechanism gets old and then stresses everything else. The switches (especially the one in the flybridge) get old, and sometimes the wiring. We did get ours working when we bought the boat, but it was too slow and intermittent in its movements to be of any use. When I pulled it apart to rebuild, I decided that I would want a new light instead. I do like the classic look of the old light, but the guts are really old tech. My new light has a remote control, so I can direct it while I am on the foredeck.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

OK... on the list.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The Jabsco spot light you have on your boat isn’t cheap. A new one is about 1300.00 plus tax. The motors are not that pricey and easy to change. However the newer models have LED bulbs and are much brighter. I just light the old school look.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Light works... but won't move from either station. Let's start with a fuse. Any suggestion for a location?
    Mine wouldn't move either. It turned out to be slipping clutches. They can be tightened up a bit, but you pretty well have to take the light apart for that.
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Our light also would light but not move from either helm station , I spent the better part of a day checking connections and looking for fuses, I found both fuses behind the switch plates and also found one wire off on the directorial toggle on bridge helm, took light apart and it was full of dirt dobber mud nests, clean it all out and now I have a fully functional light except for one direction which I am still chasing out... they are a wiring nightmare but I found the manual online.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Quote Originally Posted by Jims43DC View Post
    Our light also would light but not move from either helm station , I spent the better part of a day checking connections and looking for fuses, I found both fuses behind the switch plates and also found one wire off on the directorial toggle on bridge helm, took light apart and it was full of dirt dobber mud nests, clean it all out and now I have a fully functional light except for one direction which I am still chasing out... they are a wiring nightmare but I found the manual online.
    I have two fuses on each control panel..... all 4 good.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay