Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Listing to port......

She's leaning. Don't think she was doing it before but can't swear to that. Normally I notice these things. Curtains an inch plus off kilter at window sill level. We did put quite a bit of stuff on there, but not more than 5-600 pounds. Most of it is to port. Galley, mid stateroom closet full of parts and tools. Is that enough? Also emptied both holding tanks. The smaller one off to starboard now empty. That's 700 pounds right there. As these numbers enough to cause that much list on a 55,000 pound boat?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 09-12-2020 at 09:38 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Listing to port......

I moved 300lbs of ballast from port to starboard to correct our list. I believe it was there to balance the dinghy that is no longer there.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

It's possible. Removing weight from a holding tank low in the vessel will raise your center of gravity, making it more tender. Also, adding weight higher does the same thing. And since you removed weight from low down on the starboard side and then added weight higher on the port side that could be your cause of list.

I'm on a drillship right now and with a derrick full of drill pipe we will list up to 2 degrees if the guys swing the cranes too fast. That's on a 760' ship with 70,000 mt displacement. It's all about your GM relationship. Doesn't take much weight to create a list if the two positions are close together.

Definitely something to monitor. If it worsens then there is a problem.
    Encore
    1979 43C
    Pass Christian, MS

Doesn't take much weight difference between port and stud to list these things. As evidenced when you first step on the boat. They are not canoes, but they still abide by the laws of physics. We have lead weights (that were there originally) that we can move from side to side. The PO had the original heavy furniture in the salon and when we replaced that we had to adjust the weights.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Interesting. Where are the weights?
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

They were in the chart locker. Which is that compartment by the stairs from the salon to the galley. I moved them to behind the batteries on the port side. The PO put the weights there. I am not aware of any factory installed weights.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

So I went digging......Found 5 pigs (18" ish) under the exhaust in the SB side MSR cabinets....

There's room for more under the head cabinets on SB.....

Going to monitor and see what it looks like when the outboard holding tank fills.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

That’s exactly where mine were.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

We have those lead bars aft also, seems like every time I do a remodel or change out an appliance or furniture I need to move some of the lead from side to side to get the boat flat again. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

So today we put 3 bodies on the SB deck by the wheel house door..... 600 pounds. That brought it back pretty close. Of course that would be too much when the small holding tank fills. (60x8=480 pounds)..... I need to figure a way to put a 100G worth of bladders somewhere that I can fill/dump.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay