Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: T/S Sally

Re: T/S Sally

Hey guys, just got back home yesterday evening. WOW what a ride Sally gave us!!

We rode out the storm in Bayou Chico in Pensacola. 4 of us (a trawler, a sailboat, 2 hatteras) all set storm anchors while in our slips. At the time we set them it really seemed like overkill, but in the end it's what saved our asses.

Details are a blur in my mind right now, the chain of events was crazy fast and escalated so quickly it will make your head spin. I was up for well over 24 hours, so events are still a bit foggy.

Normally if a hurricane is heading our way we move far away from it. The day before this storm hit we were just forecasted to get tropical storm winds of 45ish. The water rose high early on. It was up/down over the top of the docks well before the storm hit.

As the day progressed winds steadily increased and the water continued to rise. It was a little after dark when we started getting word the storm had turned toward us and was intensifying, rather than dying down (dying down and heading west is what everyone kinda expected).

By the time we got word it was turning and intensifying winds were already whipping 40-50mph and it was too late to do anything about it. This is really what got people, they didn't set anchors, didn't properly prepare, then when the turn happened it was too rough/dangerous to prepare. All docks were waist deep with waves by the time we knew it was heading our way.

The winds continued to build, the water continued to rise. I'd say landfall was an hour or so before sunrise. Boats were breaking free all around us, I witnessed several boats sink.

Although our 52c was riding the storm out with grace, my biggest fear was another boat breaking free and bull dozing us.

The four of us that rode the storm out on our boats kept an eye out on each other through the night. Finally day break brought some lessening of winds.

The slow moving nature of this storm just pounded Pensacola, Perdido Key and Orange Beach. I'd estimate over 1k boats lost in this storm, either on the bottom or up in someones yard. Some will be saved, some will be cut up where they lay.... some will still be laying in the same place years from now.

The biggest difference I've noticed with this storm.... usually the nice boats, the boats with crews, the boats that get used and are well taken care of get out of town and are rarely damaged in storms.... in this storm everyone was caught with their pants down and some immaculate, well cared for boats were damaged or lost completely. Entire marinas full of boats were wiped off the map. Palofox, Lost Key, Barbers, Sportsmans, Daybreak... and many many more were just completely wiped out, no docks left, no boats left, only a few bent over pilings to show you where the docks were before Sally.

My dock neighbor registered 100+mph winds with his wind meter. Down the bayou from us got even higher readings. But I don't think it was the occasional high gust that caused the damage. It was the hours and hours of 85mph++ that we saw that just chewed away at anchors, lines and docks.

The only damage we had to the boat was a bent anchor pulpit, a sheared off cleat eye (sheared 2 3/8" bolts clean off on my bow port side) and several line rubs where dock lines rubbed paint down to fiberglass. In the grand scheme of things all very minor issues that I will happily walk away with after seeing the complete losses others suffered.

Hindsight is 2020, but I'll be damned if I get caught in another storm like this again lol.

To add insult to injury, while I was down on the boat for the storm I received word my dad passed away after a long battle with cancer and liver issues. My step son also wrecked his truck by hitting an oak tree that had fallen across the road in front of him. Damn what a week it was!!

Hope everybody on the forum fared well in the storm, I've seen lots of hatts up on the hard or sitting on the bottom, Sally did not take it light on anybody! Respect nature and disregard forecasts lol.

btw, the paint booth where my boat recently spent a couple months collapsed on top of a boat, a mangled tangled mess, soooooo thankful we were out of there.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 09-21-2020 at 08:04 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Sounds like quite the ride. Glad you made it through unscathed..... My sympathies for the loss of your dad.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Rusty, thank goodness you’re ok. You had a good plan, and that’s essential. Having friends helping each other is also essential, saved me before. I hope you left the Snap-on tool at home!I’m sorry to learn your dad passed away. I guess we’ll all have more 2020 stories than we’ll know what to do with. Robert
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Very sad thread.

But it does my heart good to see the community of support we have have on HOF.

There by the grace of God....

Just read your post to my wife and we are both speechless about your experience and sadden for your loss.
    Last edited by Sadey; 09-21-2020 at 11:31 PM.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Here are some pics I posted on FB from the area right around where our boat is. Too many pics to try and post here, but here is the link to my FB post.

One thing I didn't mention. About 24 hours after the storm was long gone I kept hearing howling winds when inside the boat... I would go outside and no howling winds were there... Not sure if I had some short term PTSD or what but it even woke me up several times the night after the storm was gone. I bet I got up 5 or 6 times that second night to check on things lol.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=872546373276825&id=100015 644100675

Last edited by rustybucket; 09-23-2020 at 10:37 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL