Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1990 40DC aft hardtop plan

I am going to build a fiberglass hardtop for my 40DC. Is there anyone out there that would be kind enough to measure there's so I will know what size to make it. I will enclose it with canvas later. Also the hard board on the railing will need to be replaced with a full size piece to cover the whole area. What material is that and where can I find it. Thank you for your help.

Re: 1990 40DC aft hardtop plan

Sams has the dodgerboard material
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You may want to look for a salvaged aft deck hardtop and the stainless steel poles that hold it in place. Their may be some boats that have been damaged in storms and can be salvaged for parts you will need. The hardtop was a $5,500 option for my boat when new in 1989. That's where I would suggest you start. Making one would cost a lot (~$7 to 10 K). Some forum members may know of a potential salvage boat.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC series 1

I delivered one for a HOF member a while back that had fixed canvas roofs on both the bridge and aft deck. It was nicely done and I’m sure would be much less expensive. Now if you want something to support a dinghy, that’s obviously a different story.

Interestingly enough, I was moving that boat on today’s date in 2016, and it popped up on a Facebook memory. With that, here’s a photo.
    Attached Images
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Hello,

There is a guy on you tube building a wooden trawler. He had an episode a few weeks back where he visited a boat salvage yard in florida some where around Jensen Beach or north of there that looke like they had a lot of hardtops and material to support them. It was not sailor man. The channel is Six Points Woodworking and I will try find the episode to reference.

Marine Connection Liquidators in Ft Pierce. Hope that helps.

Walt Hoover

Thanks for all the responses. I will try to find a used one first before building one from scratch. will keep you all informed.

If you decide to build one we will need photos of the project. We all love projects and this is one I have been interested in for my 42c. The last estimate I got from my fiberglass guy was 10k and that's not including the tower to hold it up and then new curtains.

Walt Hoover

I will start building the form next weekend and will take pictures of my progress. There is some good information and pictures on the internet that will help me get started.

Peter

Be careful how much material you use. The 40DC had an OEM hardtop that was much lighter than on most of the other Hatts. It was not able to handle a dinghy on the top. And I believe that Hatteras designed it this way because of concern for the center of gravity of the boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI