Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Texas to Detroit Michigan cost to move a 72'

Anyone have rough cost to pay someone to move a 72 from Texas to Detroit Michigan?

Re: Texas to Detroit Michigan cost to move a 72'

I moved my 53 from St Charles MO to Cape Canaveral FL, and it was about $12k, between fuel, captain and marinas (in that order of cost). I also had friends and family along to help. Total trip was 1900 miles and took a little over 3 weeks.

From Texas will be similar, but you also have the issue that currents will probably be against you part of the way. Generally, you don't go up (or down) the lower Mississippi because of the lack of places to stop (large commercial ships have much further range). So you will have to go to Mobile and work up through the rivers from there.

My boat (via the original owner) went from St Charles to Ft Lauderdale and back a couple of times. He eventually bought a second Hatteras (43') and kept it at Ft Lauderdale.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 09-07-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

That doesn't sound to bad for such a long trip!
    Thanks

If you are going North via the river system you will also need to check bridge clearance height for the canal thru Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Anyone have rough cost to pay someone to move a 72 from Texas to Detroit Michigan?
    Freeebirds the .an you need to talk to. He just ran sadey's up there. I think it was a 61 or 63.

Randy knows from experience
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I sent you a PM, but at this point in time, you only have the option of running the east coast. If you wait a bit, you have the option of running the river system. The Illinois River is currently closed to navigation for lock maintenance. I just checked, and the original reopening dates have been extended through October 29. That could make for an "interesting" situation for Detroit where freezing weather is concerned.

https://www.waterwaysjournal.net/2020/07/10/illinois-waterway-lock-closures-begin/

Y
    ou may want to consider taking the boat as far as Green Turtle Bay in Grand Rivers, KY and leaving her there for the winter. We looked at that as an option when moving Sadey's 60MY in the event we ran into an issue which would make it iffy to transit the Illinois before it closed. No way did we want to risk being trapped in between, but it all went fine.

You may have issues with the 19'2" fixed bridge in Chicago, so that may be THE determining factor with the river route. We had to remove the arch from the 60MY to make it work.
    Last edited by Freeebird; 09-08-2020 at 11:58 AM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I sent you a PM, but at this point in time, you only have the option of running the east coast. If you wait a bit, you have the option of running the river system. The Illinois River is currently closed to navigation for lock maintenance. I just checked, and the original reopening dates have been extended through October 29. That could make for an "interesting" situation for Detroit where freezing weather is concerned.

https://www.waterwaysjournal.net/2020/07/10/illinois-waterway-lock-closures-begin/

Y
    ou may want to consider taking the boat as far as Green Turtle Bay in Grand Rivers, KY and leaving her there for the winter. We looked at that as an option when moving Sadey's 60MY in the event we ran into an issue which would make it iffy to transit the Illinois before it closed. No way did we want to risk being trapped in between, but it all went fine.

You may have issues with the 19'2" fixed bridge in Chicago, so that may be THE determining factor with the river route. We had to remove the arch from the 60MY to make it work.
    Thank you! I got your message as well. Looking further into a couple boats down there.... I will check the heights.