Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Head Hose smell

Re: Head Hose smell

My boat is odor free, but I want to keep it that way.

Have ordered the AquaChem. I have experience with that in the porta potty space and like it.

I am also finding gallons of OdorGone on board. Wonder if PO sent that down the toilet. Any reason not to use it for that?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    My boat is odor free, but I want to keep it that way.

Have ordered the AquaChem. I have experience with that in the porta potty space and like it.

I am also finding gallons of OdorGone on board. Wonder if PO sent that down the toilet. Any reason not to use it for that?
    Doesn't do much that route. See it for surface use. I add some to carpet cleaning machine.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Up until last winter we had the original lines and GM heads on board our 1973 53MY. When arriving at the boat, the first flush almost caused me to throw-up. After the new heads and lines were installed, we have not had a wiff of odor coming from the heads.

I remember our Marina staff talking about how their entire work building smelled horrible until they finally put the old GM Heads and lines outside.

Converting to the Vacu-Flush system may have been one of the best upgrades that I have made. Plus I really like these new heads that sit higher.

Marcus
    Beach House-Hull#421

4. Re: Head Hose smell

The new style sanitation hose is way better than the balck hose Hatteras used in the 70's and 80's. It makes a big difference changing them out. The #1 rule on SCUSI is no #2 though not everyone follows the rules (including me). At our marina the bathrooms are very close so I ask everyone to use them for #2 whenever possible.

I 2nd the Aqua Chem use. Each weekend when I leave I add a squirt to each bowl and flush so it sits in the hose and bowl and eventually gets to the holding tank.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Every Walmart stocks AquaChem so when in a pinch, its never too far away. They also stock the Campa-Chem brand which is the same stuff made by the same company(Thetford) just in another label. I buy whatever one is cheaper as I think they are the exact same stuff.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 09-08-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Robert, I can't thank you enough. After a couple of weeks of using the Aqua-Chem the hose smell is completely gone!
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    The #1 rule on SCUSI is no #2 though not everyone follows the rules (including me). At our marina the bathrooms are very close so I ask everyone to use them for #2 whenever possible.
    While that is certainly and effective method, I refuse. I paid a lot of money to sleep in my own comfortable bed and I want to also..... ah, finish the story color the pictures.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    Robert, I can't thank you enough. After a couple of weeks of using the Aqua-Chem the hose smell is completely gone!
    So now you’re obligated to pass on an ah-ha moment pearl of wisdom from your experience (Or send check or money order to R Clarkson, RFD, Charleston, SC, BR549).
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    So now you’re obligated to pass on an ah-ha moment pearl of wisdom from your experience (Or send check or money order to R Clarkson, RFD, Charleston, SC, BR549).
    Bitcoin ok?
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

We not only do both on Benedetto but we use all three, not at the same time. Although the restaurant at our marina serves food that makes it possible. I use and empty ketchup squirt bottle with diluted Aquakem after each flush. Thank you Robert!
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale