Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Head Hose smell

Head Hose smell

I will be changing out the hoses on two of my heads this off season. In the interim I've been using bromine tabs in the strainers on the raw water side which seems to help. I also took them out of commission and drained the raw water hose and left it for a week to dry and kill what was decaying in there. That did help quite a bit. On the discharge side, the hoses are fairly permeated. I spray the outside with Odor Gone and soak a wash rag with odor gone and drape it over the hoses which does help some also. I had a thought the other day that perhaps I should put some undiluted odor gone in the head and flush it enough to fill the discharge hoses and let it sit overnight to attack the problem from the inside as well. Has anyone tried this? The odor isn't that bad but I'm just thinking of short term improvements. Thanks
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Re: Head Hose smell

Won't hurt. But it would take years for it to soak the hose....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    I will be changing out the hoses on two of my heads this off season. In the interim I've been using bromine tabs in the strainers on the raw water side which seems to help. I also took them out of commission and drained the raw water hose and left it for a week to dry and kill what was decaying in there. That did help quite a bit. On the discharge side, the hoses are fairly permeated. I spray the outside with Odor Gone and soak a wash rag with odor gone and drape it over the hoses which does help some also. I had a thought the other day that perhaps I should put some undiluted odor gone in the head and flush it enough to fill the discharge hoses and let it sit overnight to attack the problem from the inside as well. Has anyone tried this? The odor isn't that bad but I'm just thinking of short term improvements. Thanks
    Here's what works. The OdorGone on the outside is good. The Bromine helps with strainer growth and the saltwater smell and look in the bowls, and that's all. I switched to Aqua-Chem and am completely satisfied. I pour it in the bowl a little at a time (every time the head is used: little bit for #1 a little extra for #2) for the T-D-Bol look. Pretty soon, this stuff will out permeate your PP (pre-existing permeations). Now when I open my bilge accesses, there is not even a hint that my hoses are at least 6 years old (probably 15 years). To be clear, my hoses are wet exhaust hoses with just a few feet of the white sanitation hose at the thru hulls.

I used to use the powdered holding tank stuff (can't recall the name), and it liquified the waste fine while doing nothing for the odor. The Aqua-Chem has eliminated the odor and liquifies with modest dosing in our warm SC summers. I can't recall the last time I sprayed any OdorGone on waste hoses. The bilges actually have a hint of a fresh smell. I still use the bromine.

Amazon has been out of the stuff unless you pay a premium. Since I found it on Walmart.com, I've reordered and also giving them some of my other business as they have been providing better service.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thetford-28614-Aqua-Kem-1-Gallon/155491931?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adi d=22222222227066374240&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=170876 687184&wl4=pla-275222517987&wl5=9010367&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl 10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=155491931&veh=sem&gcli d=EAIaIQobChMIsJS3mpbI6wIVGWKGCh0RSwy3EAQYBCABEgL7 9_D_BwE

T
    his stuff is the Woody Wax of marine doo-doo.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Kudos to Robert for the suggestion about Aqua Chem! I had tried everything in my heads and still couldn't get rid of that pesky sewer smell when the heads burped. I changed all of my stators and even then they would periodically burp a belch of tacos from a week ago.
    I had tried dawn, Calgon water softener, NoFlex digestor and NRx nutralizer. None of them worked.

With one treatmenet of Aqua Chem my heads quit burping 99% and there is a fresh smell if they do. I could not be happier. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

We also occasionally suffer from a post docko night’s indulgence when flushing our heads. We don’t have the permeated smell just the occasional burping when flushing. The admiral and I are very fastidious about keeping our heads clean so the smell is quite an attack on our sniffers and and afront to our efforts in cleanliness. To be clear you keep a bottle of Aquakem close at hand but is it before or after doing your business you splash a little in the bowl?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    We also occasionally suffer from a post docko night’s indulgence when flushing our heads. We don’t have the permeated smell just the occasional burping when flushing. The admiral and I are very fastidious about keeping our heads clean so the smell is quite an attack on our sniffers and and afront to our efforts in cleanliness. To be clear you keep a bottle of Aquakem close at hand but is it before or after doing your business you splash a little in the bowl?
    Here's the before use look.
    IMG_2083.jpg
    Note: This condition would be the same for defecation as well as elimination. Seat position is not applicable.

Here's the after action look.
    IMG_2083.jpg

Caution: Use of AquaChem is not recommended while driving the China bus.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Duly noted and much appreciated. As tonight is our annual Docko taco night we will put it to the test. Of course hopefully tomorrow sometime. Currently I’m on my second blue margarita and although I’m not planning on driving the porcelain bus tonight if the need should arise the end result between our bus and yours might look similar. I am however hoping that the fluid in our bus is of the liquid type and not the less desirable partially used docko night fare. Thank you again for the tip.
    Last edited by Sadey; 09-06-2020 at 10:44 PM.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Thanks Robert. Ordering it today! I'm sure the wife will also like the tidy-bowl look.
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

I’ve got a new neighbor two slips away. He’s new to bigger boating and his new to him Mainship. I’m trying to find a tactful way to tell him he doesn’t have to endure the smell from his hoses. You can smell the hoses, not what’s in the tank, on the dock when he opens up his cabin. Went onboard to give an assist a while back and couldn’t do mor than five minutes in there. Being a trawler guy, he’s just one step up the evolutionary ladder from a sailboater. Therefore, I’m sure he’ll have sensitive feelings.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD