Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Route to the Exumas Bahamas

Headed to the Bahamas after storm season with eyes set on the Exumas.

Any recommend routes? Cross to Bimini, Drop down to Gun Cay and across the banks? I would love to break up the 10hr days with a few nice stops and have plenty of time. Not really interested in Nassau proper. Berry Islands for a week, quick stop Nassau and across the yellow bank?

Any recommends?
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

Re: Route to the Exumas Bahamas

You might want to do a Facebook search for "Bahamas Cruising and Sailing". You'll get some great real time replies.
    My route is usually North Bimini > drop about 10 miles below South Bimini and shoot to Chub > Highbourne or Normans, then down the line of the Exumas.

Pascal will likely chime in, but you can find him on the Facebook page as well.
    Last edited by Passages; 08-27-2020 at 10:26 PM.

For years we ve cleared at Cat Cay which was on the way and I was usually in and out in 30 minutes. Unfortunately Cat is now closed to non members. It may change after this chinese virus dies down

BIM is not really worth a stop anymore. Resort World has really destroyed the island.

Last trip, this July, we ran straight to Chub and cleared there. Chub has been rebuild and is very nice. Nice docks, beautiful landscaping, nice restaurant. Very well done

Another option is to clear at Great Harbor cay (northern berrys). The marina is pretty nice although very different from chub. More family island style. It s a bit of a detour but worth a couple of nice to explore. Very nice beach. On the way down the berrys, a stop at White Cay to see the blue hole on Hoffman’s is worth it.

Southern berrys, a stop at Bird Cay, maybe on the way back is nice. Good anchorage. There is an abandoned estate on the north end of bird that’s fun exploring. It s a mid 20th century time capsule. Last time we stopped two years ago there were still a lot of furniture and things inside.

I agree on avoiding NAS. One night is enough to reprovision and refuel. Bay Street marina is a very nice place. Solomon’s fresh market has a free shuttle. Or go to Nassau harbor club, a little rustic but just across the street from Solomon’s and the shopping center.
    Both have fuel

Then it’s on to paradise. I usually don’t cross the yellow bank but do a dogleg between the yellow and white bank, almost due south of the eastern harbor entrance. No Coral heads to watch for, I Ben running this route day or nights many time a year

Returning, we run straight from Staniel to NW Channel light (or sometimes anchor for the night at andros morgans bluff). Looking at explorer charts you ll see there is an almost straight clear route across Exuma bank.

Two final points. A water maker is pretty much a must in the Exumas unless you want to ration water like a sailor

And since July, you must clear Bahamas customs When leaving the Bahamas. This means a stop at NAS, Chubb or BIM. It’s a pita. Last trip I was able to use a yacht agent in NAS, emailing her all the paper work. Cost us $150 but worth it.

Any questions about the Exumas... feel free to ask. Been going. Multiple times a year for almost 15 years now.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    And since July, you must clear Bahamas customs When leaving the Bahamas. This means a stop at NAS, Chubb or BIM. It’s a pita. .
    We were there last June and we did not need to clear on the way out of the Bahamas. I guess this is something new. Does this require gathering up all the passports and walking down to Immigration/Customs (Bimini) ?

We are hoping to cross again in November but are worried there will still be a 2 week quarantine. We can only spend a month and hate to see half of it stuck at anchor outside Bimini.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    We were there last June and we did not need to clear on the way out of the Bahamas. I guess this is something new. Does this require gathering up all the passports and walking down to Immigration/Customs (Bimini) ?

We are hoping to cross again in November but are worried there will still be a 2 week quarantine. We can only spend a month and hate to see half of it stuck at anchor outside Bimini.
    The outbound clearance requirement came out early mid July. On the way out I emailed our agent in Nassau all the paperwork and she was able to get us clearance without stopping anywhere. It was around $250 but worth it as we were able to run from Staniel straight to cat and on to Miami

Rules change every week. Now you have to request permission from Bahamas marine authority to come in, clear and move on. Hopefully They ll Come to their senses by December.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Below are two routes I have researched and others have used minimizing large open ocean days, running on the protected banks, etc...... I'm sure there are many other routes, pick what fits you needs best and how you make passages...

Route 1:
    Ft Pierce -> Green Turtle Cay (Check in, top off fuel, fly-in/out)-> island hop through Abacos -> Spanish Wells -> Highborne Cay and south for the remainder of the Exuma's -> reverse home route 1 or 2

Route 2:
    Miami -> Cat Cay (check in) -> Nassau (top off fuel, fly-in/out) -> Highborne Cay and south for the remainder of the Exuma's -> reverse home route 1 or 2
    Best regards,
    --
    David

I m not a big fan of crossing to west end as the water is almost always rougher there than further south especially in winter. The weather windows are much shorter.

And then the run from Abacos to Spanish Wells is wide open ocean. Can be pretty miserable.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thank you everyone. Exactly the conversation I was hoping for.

Pascal, how long / what speed do you plan for the passage directly to Chubs?

Would you do Chubs, NAS quick stop (or NAS southern coast stop) and move between Yellow and White banks?

Or

Chubs, down to andros morgans bluff and across.

Originally I was looking at BIM/NW Marker light/Morgans bluff and across.
    But I would love to break those 3 crossings days.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

It depends on what speed we run at.

At 10kts hull speed (84 lazzara) it s about 12 hours to Chub from Miami. At normal cruise (22-24kts) we can do it about 5 to 6 hours but that wasn’t work on a 53 Then if going to the northern Exumas i run to Nassau but stay outside along Paradise Island to avoid going thru the harbor then thru Hannover sound and turn south passing between Athol and Porgee rocks. But that’s because we don’t need to get fuel

If we go to Staniel I run from Chub straight to NP west end and across to Staniel

I really hope Cat Cay reopens as it was so convenient. I d leave late afternoon or evening, anchor off Cat. Go in at 9am for customs, out by 9:30 then across the bank and straight to Exumas passing south of Nassau . It s long day at hull speed but worth it. Depending on how tired I was I d anchor in the northern Exumas or sometimes I d push to Staniel Again at hull speed to save fuel

If you don’t mind running a few hours on plane then it s a shorter day

The logic behind this is to maximize time spent in the Exumas which are 200 times better than bimini or even the berrys.

Don’t forget that fuel prices in the Bahamas are roughly twice what it is here in Miami so running at hull speed makes a lot of sense Unless you want to shave a few hours off a long day.

I haven’t taken my 53 there yet but when we do a couple of years from now at least it will be mostly at hull speed and running longer days.

On the south side of NP you can stop and refuel at Albany it s almost on the way. Fuel is reasonable (but dockage is not... ) so whenever I stop there it’s for a quick top off
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat