Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

58LRC - New owner, pending survey.

After searching and looking at several 58LRC's I have decided to move forward and purchase one of these fantastic older vessels. Pending successful survey (in a few weeks), we look to take ownership by the end of September.

I've already spent the better part of a full day going through her, doing a "pre-survey" survey. From that exercise, I have identified a number of issues that were part of my negotiation with the owner.

I'm wondering if there are any 58LRC owners out there who might have some specific knowledge of "areas of concern" that should receive special attention during the actual survey? Hull, systems, engine, etc? The 471's seem to be pretty bullet-proof and these (cold) started instantly with zero smoke. I intend to have a diesel expert look the over as well.

Also, can anyone tell me how to determine the fuel level in the tanks? There is a Hart System Tank Tender, but I'm not sure it is working. Are there dipsticks, sight tubes or any method of determining what's in the tanks?

I already have a list of things that I plan to change/upgrade onboard. Part of the fun, right? I will need to source (or build from scratch) some new seating for the flybridge. The old seating is trash and will be one of the 1st items to get upgraded. Any clues on someone that might make the original style seating would be appreciated.

Looking forward to becoming an active member of this forum!

Jim

Re: 58LRC - New owner, pending survey.

Welcome to the forum! I am slightly ahead of you having closed and now getting to know the boat. If yours is anything like mine there's one or more hatches under the carpeting down below with the part of the fuel tanks where pickups and returns are plumbed in, as well as a gauge which is attached to a float mechanism directly under it. My boat came with a manual including blue prints for all systems. The location of the hatches would be on there. Are they still with the boat?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Oscarvan: Thanks...

There are dozens of binders, filled with documentation on board. Hopefully there is lots of information on all the systems, including drawings, schematics, etc. I should have taken a quick look through these binders, but I was so busy looking through the major systems, that I didn't think to check that.

Glad to hear there may be gauges right on the tanks. I know there are four, so I have to look for them next time on board.

There is a "local" gauge on each tank.

Look for hull blisters during out of water survey... it's a common issue.

Poke around for wood rot as well. I've had to replace two window frame pieces that had been basically covered up with layers of sealant over the years.

Check for front window leaks.

Might sound "trivial", but also check for age of appliances. All mine were original and passed at inspection. However in less than one year I've had to replace the washer, dryer and trash compactor. Now one of my refrigeration drawer units is acting up. The refrigerator drawers alone are $4300... washer and dryer $2700... compactor $1500... and I did all the work myself.

When was the last time the boat was painted? That's a big ticket item.

Another big ticket item is stabilizers... what is the system condition?

That's a few items off top of my head.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Well it's now official.

We are the new owners of a '77 - 58LRC and plan to spend our 1st night on board this weekend.

It took a while to work out the repairs and other details, post survey - but the owner and the broker were exceptional to deal with and we are excited to be owners of our first Hatteras.

Our new LRC will by christened "Katerina" on Sunday.

There is a long list of "upgrades" we are planning to bring her up to "yacht" like condition and expect that will happen over time (as I will be doing a majority of the work myself).

This site has been a wonderful source of information and I hope to become a regular contributor (and question asker) as we get to know her.

I have spoken (by phone and email) with a few other 58LRC owners here and look forward to meeting others in the near future.

Follow racclarkson. If you are even remotely close to his standards you will have a spectacular vessel. I myself am a C+/B- student but improve every month. Would possibly do better sooner but I got that dang SideBar liquor dispenser so the work day enthusiasm stops short of 5:00.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Congratulations! I have always found the 58LRC a gorgeous vessel. I do know you will spend quite some time getting your head around all the systems......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Congrats!

If I can be of any help, feel free to reach out. I've been a 1976 58 LRC owner since June 2019 and may have some insight and lessons learned.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Follow racclarkson. If you are even remotely close to his standards you will have a spectacular vessel. I myself am a C+/B- student but improve every month. Would possibly do better sooner but I got that dang SideBar liquor dispenser so the work day enthusiasm stops short of 5:00.
    Yes, congratulations! And thanks for the vote of confidence.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: 58LRC - New owner

I also just closed on the purchase of a 58 LRC just yesterday. I’m going to Baltimore, MD to bring her home to Myrtle Beach, SC on the 26th. We plan so far to depart the Inner Harbor on the 30th. I will be a full time live aboard so I should have no excuses for not getting her back up to par. Also, with my purchase the owner was exceptional and we have developed a real nice friendship through our communications over the past year. Lastly, I sold my 1967 44 Tri-cabin last week just in time to make this all come together. I am not 100% sure but I believe my 58 LRC may have been the second 58 LRC built. Congratulations Jim on your 58 LRC as well! I hope to see her sometime soon
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BFDfirefighter16; 10-24-2020 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Editing
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina