Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fuller Brush Port light

I have a friend who has a 53’ MY that needs the interior frame of the Fuller Brush port light. They have the exterior Frame and the plastic window but the interior frame has a broken ear where you tighten the windows down to. Would anyone have one in storage? Thanks in advance.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Fuller Brush Port light

AFAIK, Fuller Brush still has those guys. So may need to spring for some cash and buy the entire unit.

Also, AFAIK, there is no such unit, with only the inner frame with the ears. The inner section is part of the entire unit.

I have two entire units that I had to pull, due to dock damage. Can you say water level changes.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I left my friend who needs one a message. She will reply if still needed. She was looking at new ones the last time we spoke.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

She will reply to you tomorrow.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Had one of these break a few years ago.
    Drilled a hole and used a stainless screw and washer to hold the hatch closed.
    Repair Was not very noticeable.

Fuller Brush still makes marine portlights and screens but it is my understanding that SAM's in the exclusive dealer now. If you call Fuller, they refer you to Sams.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You are correct Sky. Sams has them in their catalog. Fuller brush does not sell them direct any longer.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Be aware they are available in cream or white.

If you order WHITE, then make sure you write WHITE WHITE WHITE a dozen times on the order. Then phone them.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

My 1966 50MY does not have the Fuller portlights, instead having original solid bronze oval ones. I was replacing the deteriorated rubber seals starting in the master cabin. The square strips come in a roll and have a hollow center. I measured out several lengths and cut. As I went around replacing them I found to my surprise that I had several different size port holes! The largest were the seven master ports but the heads and bow ports were smaller. Don't remember about the guest cabin. I had never noticed this but it seems to me to be yet another example of Jack Hargrave's artist's eye in designing these beautiful boats. Everything in proportion.

Don't know if the Fuller ports vary. I recommend measurement!

As an aside, A. Howard Fuller, president of the eponymous Brush company, owned and raced his 56 foot sloop Gesture in many races in the 1950s. He realized the same plastic injection process used in making his brushes could be used for boating. Gesture won the Bermuda Race in 1946. Howard and his wife Dora, both age 46, were killed in Nevada in 1959 when his brand new gullwing Mercedes 300SL blew a rear Michelin tire at a high rate of speed.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 09-15-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Interesting trivia ...

My 1970 53 MY also Has two different sizes portholes. Never noticed till recently.

I never understood why Hatteras went to the plastic version. The old ones are piling proof After Irma I found two of them on the floor. The whole assemblies had been pushed in, breaking the screws, by two pilings. Was able to put them right in after the fiberglass was repaired.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat