Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Planning a complete electronics update on the 53

Was in a similar situation when we bought our 58 MY. Needed an autopilot and chart plotter. Radar was an older Furuno, but it still worked well. I have been using the Navionics I pad app and I love it. Wanted a plotter system to accept the Navionics charts. I selected Simrad. Bought the EVO 3
    12 in Plotter, and the NEC-3 core pack autopilot. With the RPU -300 pump. I love the system.
    I use my I pad to load routes , the system syncs automatically to the Simrad. I select the route and the autopilot follows route. All installed without too much difficulty, pump interfaced with hydraulic
    steering easily. I have since added the NAC.500 AIS to the system.. the u it has a HDMI output that I use to run. Large monitor in the pilot house. I am sure. down the road I will add radar to this system. I checked prices on line and think I am all in now for maybe $5-6,000.

great solution for us..

I am facing the same situation after owning my 58 for 18 years. First if you get rid of that CP-1000 I would like it. I have 2, one up and one down and one of them is on the blink.
    I am not computer savvy at all so a lot of the comments on this thread intimidate me. I will eventually have to get a new GPS for up and down stations. I have run in rough seas on occasion, hopefully I have grown out of that, so a computer on the flybridge is a no go in my opinion. 15 or 20 years ago I thought the Raytheon were difficult to run. Everyone that has Garmin loves them, but like it’s been said, the bigger screens for old eyes are very expensive.
    I appreciate the replies. They are very helpful since I will face the same issue in the near future.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

I sell a bunch of garmin 12" touch screen systems without sounders for $2699. I also add in the additional system interconnects to make it functional.

The misconception that you can build a computer to do the same for less is almost funny.. its all in the integration at a systems level. Autopilot, RADAR, Sirius weather, sounder and chart plotter working as a team.

Save time and let the experts do the hard part. I know its hard to admit the system you have is not the best ever made but thats just the facts. For multiple screens in a 2 station boat you don't need to spend $25k to have a fully functional system.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I just installed all new Garmin on my boat. 1242 for the lower helm, 922 upper. Garmin 126 broadband radar, garmin sounder. Love it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I sell a bunch of garmin 12" touch screen systems without sounders for $2699. I also add in the additional system interconnects to make it functional.

The misconception that you can build a computer to do the same for less is almost funny.. its all in the integration at a systems level. Autopilot, RADAR, Sirius weather, sounder and chart plotter working as a team.

Save time and let the experts do the hard part. I know its hard to admit the system you have is not the best ever made but thats just the facts. For multiple screens in a 2 station boat you don't need to spend $25k to have a fully functional system.

1. Windows based OpenPC integrates pretty much seamlessly once set up properly with any NMEA 2000 network and that INCLUDES Garmin. In addition, with a radar software plug in and an ethernet adapter available from many electronics stores online, the software can receive radar data either directly or indirectly from a Garmin HD unit.

2. As mentioned, I'm running the PC software on two 7202 Dell Rugged Tablets that carry an IP65 rating. That's actually a HIGHER rating for shock, water intrusion and dust than any Garmin chartplotter, as they're rated at IPX7.

Take a look at this video and tell me if you think a Garmin MFD/chartplotter can take the same abuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04YRSUTwjE

3. The only thing I can't do from the PC is run the autopilot and I'd want to keep that separate anyway for purposes of safety and redundancy. Other than that the "integration at the systems level" you speak of is the same. I can push and pull NMEA data sentences back and forth between the PCs', the Garmin devices, AIS and my Standard Horizon radios.

As mentioned, I have no problem with Garmin as their products serve me well and form the backbone of navigation systems on three of the four boats I own, but it's not necessarily the ONLY solution. The other thing to keep in mind with Garmin is their planned obsolescence. They do not support any of their MFD/chartplotters five years after a model goes out of service. Period. As far as I know, there are no third party repair sources for Garmin Marine electronics - so they got you!

Don't be bashing PC, Android or Apple based solutions for marine navigation without having your facts straight first.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 08-21-2020 at 07:49 PM.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

I don't sell boat stuff, am a software engineer and love networking things. But I think comparing a PC solution to a Garmin or Raymarine or other commercial system is like comparing a home built tablet to an iPad. The only reason you would use a PC solution instead of using a commercial system is because you want to build a PC solution, not because it is better, cheaper or even comparable. The only thing that drew me to a PC solution was screen size, but then you give up just about everything else. You give up the best maps, the best sonar, the best overlay features, fusion, plug-n-play, etc, etc, etc. And if we are talking 10" or 12" size, a commercial chart plotter is about the same price as setting up the PC version, and that isn't including your time to set it up and fuss with it. And with the commercial system, you get everything as well as backward and forward compatibility. But building your own is neat to, but not really comparable. I don't think this is bashing PC systems. It is just saying what it is.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 08-21-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I have a few questions about your PC setup.

1) Do the two PC's communicate and share information between them? Is that even necessary if both can read all the devices on the network? ie if Radar is connected, is it connected to one of the PC's or does it connect to the network so either machine can see it?

2) How do sounders work? Do they just provide depth as a number or can you show the bottom contours, side vision, etc?

3) What other things (if any) don't work on the PC setup the same as on networked dedicated MFD's.

I ask because I was thinking of replacing a couple of Garmin 4212/4208's and associated equipment with new MFD's. Instead, I might try running a Raspberry pi4 with a OpenCPN distribution designed specifically for that hardware (no Windows for me). The Pi4 can support two HDMI monitors for workspace so that would be awesome int the pilothouse. Extremely low power consumption, usb3, network and wifi built in and two HDMI ports. I would need to find a nice flush mountable touch screen display 12" or larger (preferably 16") that are 12v and bright enough to see in daylight.

You got me thinking about this again..... (been about 8 years since I last attempted it, with limited success).

J

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about and your comments are self serving. Honestly, I don't know why they let you continue to post on this site when you're on here selling your products and services routinely - but hey whatever. I'm not the administrator of this site.

Now let me give you the FACTS.

1. Windows based OpenPC integrates pretty much seamlessly once set up properly with any NMEA 2000 network and that INCLUDES Garmin. In addition, with a radar software plug in and an ethernet adapter available from many electronics stores online, the software can receive radar data either directly or indirectly from a Garmin HD unit.

2. As mentioned, I'm running the PC software on two 7202 Dell Rugged Tablets that carry an IP65 rating. That's actually a HIGHER rating for shock, water intrusion and dust than any Garmin chartplotter, as they're rated at IPX7.

Take a look at this video and tell me if you think a Garmin MFD/chartplotter can take the same abuse

3. The only thing I can't do from the PC is run the autopilot and I'd want to keep that separate anyway for purposes of safety and redundancy. Other than that the "integration at the systems level" you speak of is the same. I can push and pull NMEA data sentences back and forth between the PCs', the Garmin devices, AIS and my Standard Horizon radios.

As mentioned, I have no problem with Garmin as their products serve me well and form the backbone of navigation systems on three of the four boats I own, but it's not necessarily the ONLY solution. The other thing to keep in mind with Garmin is their planned obsolescence. They do not support any of their MFD/chartplotters five years after a model goes out of service. Period. As far as I know, there are no third party repair sources for Garmin Marine electronics - so they got you!

Don't be bashing PC, Android or Apple based solutions for marine navigation without having your facts straight first.

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    You don't know what you're talking about and your comments are self serving. Honestly, I don't know why they let you continue to post on this site when you're on here selling your products and services routinely - but hey whatever. I'm not the administrator of this site.

Now let me give you the FACTS.

I'm sorry if I crushed your dreams.

The PC systems will not equal the reliability, flexibility and integration of a purpose built device. Nor will a home built unit. If you are trying to justify your choice thats understandable but don't lead others to the wrong conclusions.

Integrated multiple screen system's are far beyond the capabilities of a pc. Run in worse conditions and are upgraded constantly.

5 years isn't a long time and the old gear in many of our boats runs longer. Theres less repair issues with the MFD screens than computers by the way.
    Last edited by Boatsb; 08-21-2020 at 08:28 PM.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Me being the electronic wiz I am, I gotta agree with Scott if for just one reason. When your Garmin radar or your Raymarine sounder or maybe even your Simrad pilot develop a problem, you’ve essentially absolved the manufacturer of responsibility when you’ve taken their product out of their network. No matter what the problem, ‘sounds like it’s a PC problem,’ is their starting point. Translation: Welcome to Catch 22 land.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

And by the way.

I do design, drawings and technical support for members who buy the gear from me. Its a good deal for members who want to do their own installation.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.