Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 1971 53 my for sale

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Just a reminder that the welland canal is still closed to recreational marine traffic and I think there is a very low bridge on the barge canal, not sure if the height of it.

Walt Hoover
    The Welland Canal website says it opened up on June 15

Lockage Schedule for Pleasure Craft (Welland Canal)

Effective June 15th 2020, the St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation is continuing to utilize the pleasure craft schedule first introduced in 2019 for transits through the Welland Canal.

The service offering will be based upon the following schedule:

Upbound Transits – from Port Weller to Port Colborne

Transits are available on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.

On the day of transit, pleasure crafts must be in position at the Port Weller small boat dock with Secunik payment confirmed and registration completed with the Seaway’s Operations Control Centre by 9:00 a.m. The number to call is 289-690-4344.

**Pleasure crafts registered after the 9:00 a.m. cut off time will not transit until the next scheduled operating day.**

Downbound Transits – from Port Colborne to Port Weller

Transits are available on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday

On the day of transit, pleasure crafts must be in position at the Port Colborne small boat dock with Secunik payment confirmed and registration completed with the Seaway’s Operations Control Centre by 7:00 a.m. The number to call is 289-690-4344.

**Pleasure crafts registered after the 7:00 a.m. cut off time will not transit until the next scheduled operating day.**
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Last I heard the Welland is open to pleasure craft in transit operated by professional crew. American pleasure boaters are not allowed in the canal.

There is now a cottage industry of delivery Captains that take your boat to/from Buffalo/Oswego while you drive their car and then kill a lot of time.

There is a dude on Yachtforums that "handles" transits for the pros either individually or in groups. The subject has been discussed there ad nausea.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Last I heard the Welland is open to pleasure craft in transit operated by professional crew. American pleasure boaters are not allowed in the canal.

There is now a cottage industry of delivery Captains that take your boat to/from Buffalo/Oswego while you drive their car and then kill a lot of time.

There is a dude on Yachtforums that "handles" transits for the pros either individually or in groups. The subject has been discussed there ad nausea.
    But what is the official word? Hearsay runs rampant on the internet. Even though I posted what was on their website, I would call to confirm if you are serious about needing to transit the canal.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I would call to confirm if you are serious about needing to transit the canal.
    Always a good idea.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

What would you guys guess for full fresh paint, interior clean up, appliances and electronics?

Just a guess, $50-150k?

nice 53's in my area (lower great lakes) are in the 225,000 to 260,000 range with a super nice restored 58' listed at 278k.

What would be the investment to bring something like this to the$230 t $260k level?

Thanks!

Paint, done right, 60-70.

Engine condition is huge. A rebuild is another 60+

Cleanup, appliances and electronics.... depends... you want Silver of Platinum Elite?

Too many variables.

It's a hobby, we pay to play. In addition these are classics and we are, if we choose to be, custodians to varying degrees doing historic preservation. Sometimes that costs extra.......

Financially none of this ever makes sense.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Paint, done right, 60-70.

Engine condition is huge. A rebuild is another 60+

Cleanup, appliances and electronics.... depends... you want Silver of Platinum Elite?

Too many variables.

It's a hobby, we pay to play. In addition these are classics and we are, if we choose to be, custodians to varying degrees doing historic preservation. Sometimes that costs extra.......

Financially none of this ever makes sense.
    Yes, I guess it could be better to buy done. I keep talking myself in and out of "taking on a project."

Perhaps one of the local boats is better bet for me. I am better at making payments than finishing projects!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Yes, I guess it could be better to buy done. I keep talking myself in and out of "taking on a project."

Perhaps one of the local boats is better bet for me. I am better at making payments than finishing projects!
    Only take on a project if it's about the project and not the boating.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Only take on a project if it's about the project and not the boating.
    Solid advice!

There’s an old saying “you can’t polish a turd”
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present