Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1998 Hatteras 74 ALMOST THERE in Miami

Hi,

This boat popped onto my radar recently and I'm interested to hear from anyone who happens to know anything about her. (I'd post a link but apparently I need to first make 5 posts to the forum.)

She's listed by Denison and should be easy to find. (Again, sorry to make you have to go through that.)

Listed at $1M which is obviously high for a '98 but it also seems like quite a bit of stuff has been done to her within the last couple years.

I'm trying to decide whether to fly out to Miami (from California). Previously I wouldn't have hesitated but now it's a mask on for 5 hours each way... oh well, our new reality...

Thanks!
    Bryan

Re: 1998 Hatteras 74 ALMOST THERE in Miami

Have you looked at the 2001 75 hatt in San Diego listed for 799,999 ? Newer by a few years has Cat's pics look great. 200k less asking price and save 60k in shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowncar View Post
    Have you looked at the 2001 75 hatt in San Diego listed for 799,999 ? Newer by a few years has Cat's pics look great. 200k less asking price and save 60k in shipping.
    Hi, thanks for the suggestion. We've looked at several Hatteras here in California. NO LIMITS is in Newport, I think, and may be the one you're referring to. Pictures look fantastic, I agree, but the boat really lets herself down once you get on-board. Lack of maintenance and just seemed in a fairly run-down condition.

There are a couple more Hatteras in Southern California but they aren't quite a fit for one reason or another.

The listing looks good although most exterior pictures have been taken somewhere distant. If they are recent it means the boat has been used and should Be turnkey... if they are old... well who knows.

The 3412s are a big plus. Yea they have 5000 hours but these are great motors even the early non Es. I put 4000 hours on a pair of 3412Es they had 5500 when the boat sold and they passed survey / oil analysis with flying colors.

Do you know where the boat is in Miami? I don’t recognize the building in the background. If not too far I may be able to go take a look.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I agree on No Limits, I was on board about 2 weeks ago and the boat just felt kinda ordinary, nothing special. My guess is it could be bought for even less than ask, needs some cosmetic work, chips in paint etc. but I think those Cats only had about 2000 hours I think. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The listing looks good although most exterior pictures have been taken somewhere distant. If they are recent it means the boat has been used and should Be turnkey... if they are old... well who knows.

The 3412s are a big plus. Yea they have 5000 hours but these are great motors even the early non Es. I put 4000 hours on a pair of 3412Es they had 5500 when the boat sold and they passed survey / oil analysis with flying colors.

Do you know where the boat is in Miami? I don’t recognize the building in the background. If not too far I may be able to go take a look.
    Thanks, great feedback. I agree on the engines. I've been looking at all kinds of 2-stroke DDs and MTUs... but CATs are what I would really feel good about owning.

Your offer to perhaps look at the boat is unexpected and very generous. I've asked my agent to find out the exact location but it's apparently up in Aventura. If that's too far out of the way, I certainly understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I agree on No Limits, I was on board about 2 weeks ago and the boat just felt kinda ordinary, nothing special. My guess is it could be bought for even less than ask, needs some cosmetic work, chips in paint etc. but I think those Cats only had about 2000 hours I think. John
    Yup. She's been listed for sale since June of 2018...

Quote Originally Posted by cowger View Post
    Thanks, great feedback. I agree on the engines. I've been looking at all kinds of 2-stroke DDs and MTUs... but CATs are what I would really feel good about owning.

Your offer to perhaps look at the boat is unexpected and very generous. I've asked my agent to find out the exact location but it's apparently up in Aventura. If that's too far out of the way, I certainly understand.
    Yeah it s about an hour each way. Traffic is getting crazy here these days. Sorry. If you fly in, get a flight to Ft Lauderdale it s much closer to Aventura than MIA. Maybe 20/25 minutes.

Ask the listing broker how old the pictures are and to send you a PDF with the refit invoices before flying across the country.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Yeah it s about an hour each way. Traffic is getting crazy here these days. Sorry. If you fly in, get a flight to Ft Lauderdale it s much closer to Aventura than MIA. Maybe 20/25 minutes.

Ask the listing broker how old the pictures are and to send you a PDF with the refit invoices before flying across the country.
    Okay, I'd hate to think about you fighting that traffic, but thanks again for the thought.

Great tips on all this stuff -- I have my agent working on all of that now.

Just sold my 1996 74 MY. It had Detroits with about 2600 hours and was in great shape. People can ask whatever they want for their boat. However, in this case, the asking price is absurd. Look around and see what these boats are selling for. The ask is probably about 350K or more too high.