Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Re: Cleaning Fuel between top of aft tank and floor

You need to get the leak repaired. The tank should have been leak tested with a couple pounds of air pressure before sealing the sole back up. You could try to get the yard involved.

Re: Cleaning Fuel between top of aft tank and floor

Hi guys. Just a quick update on the fuel spill and cleanup. Yes the yard is involved and very cooperative but wasn’t too sure what to use except soap which we weren't too sure was gonna be enough. So we soaked the top of the tank with Zep industrial degreaser/cleaner, raised the bow of the boat on the travel lift and rinse with water and shopvac the dirty water at the aft of the tank. Repeated a few times. We’re now back at the slip and drying the floor with 4 fans for at least the night. We’ll see tomorrow how dry it is and shoot some oder gone under there. Thank you for the great advice. That stuff really works 😊 we haven’t apply the oder gone yet and I can tell you the diesel smell is completely gone. We’re now having a beer and letting it dry !!! 😊
    Attached Images
    -------------------------
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada

Super good news and glad the yard stood up.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Hi guys. Just a quick update on the fuel spill and cleanup. Yes the yard is involved and very cooperative but wasn’t too sure what to use except soap which we weren't too sure was gonna be enough. So we soaked the top of the tank with Zep industrial degreaser/cleaner, raised the bow of the boat on the travel lift and rinse with water and shopvac the dirty water at the aft of the tank. Repeated a few times. We’re now back at the slip and drying the floor with 4 fans for at least the night. We’ll see tomorrow how dry it is and shoot some oder gone under there. Thank you for the great advice. That stuff really works  we haven’t apply the oder gone yet and I can tell you the diesel smell is completely gone. We’re now having a beer and letting it dry !!! 
    Richard, if you purchased the commercial grade Odor gone, make sure you dilute it one part odor gone to four parts water. Any stronger doesn’t hurt but it’s a waste. I had a few cases of ceramic tile in the back of my car that was worth over $1000, a quart of diesel spilled over the entire order of tile. I tried everything to get the smell out. Odor gone was the last item I tried and the only one that worked.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

So the cleaning job is now over. We applied the Odor Gone after the cleaning and the smell is all gone. Pretty impressive stuff. We diluted the Odor gone as specified above and it worked great.

Now believe it or not, they bent my shafts on the travel lift But I'll start another tread for that...

Thanks for the Help on this. Very appreciated :-)
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada

6. Re: Cleaning Fuel between top of aft tank and floor

Did the fuel leak get located and repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    Did the fuel leak get located and repaired?
    Yes it was leaking at the fuel pickup plate and on one of the fiberglass plug on top of the tank. We had the 2 tanks cleaned last winter and they made a few openings on the top of the tank between each baffle to clean it. It worked well but the fiberglass plugs were badly done. They're redoing all of the plugs.
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada