Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. DIY Pump out station?

Searched the forums and didn't really find an answer. Has anyone ever done a mobile DIY pump out station?
    Ie: plastic 50 gallon drum on a cart with a pump and the associated plumbing and connectors. And if so'
    which pump did you use?

120vlt on the dock, seems like an easy project. I said "seems", but always defer to experience. Thx.

Re: DIY Pump out station?

All the wheeled pumpout carts I’ve seen use Whale diaphragm pumps, as do some of the fixed facilities.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Self priming up to 10' it says...... https://www.campingworld.com/sealand...acerator-pumps
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The Sealand is a great pump to install on board. It may work depending on the dock height. Typically it s about 6’ to 7 feet from the tank to the Gunwhale...

Some of the best pumps are made by Headhunters. They make waste transfer pumps although not cheap
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I don't think he wanted an onboard pump. We got a gun-shy, so to speak, dock boy who got blasted and basted with a pressurized fecal fountain here some time back. Not sure how the boat's pump got energized but sure of the result. Better to pull than push, me thinks.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

That s what I meant. The sealand maybe close to the limit priming from the dock especially if there is a small leak at the deck connection. A larger 120v pump maybe a better option
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have 120v Oberdorfer onboard pump , 1 hp , I believe they claim 10 ft of suction. It would probably work great on a dockside cart . It lists for about $1400 . It is for offshore discharge where allowed. As Robert mentioned, I would not like to try pumping out at the dock with it.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

OK, the bigger question...once you get it into the “50 gallon drum on a cart” then what are going to do with it?
    Best regards,
    --
    David

This is a situation where over thinking never hurts.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

When offshore I just turn on my Jabsco Macerator pump from the helm station and drain the holding tank via a pipe that discharges at the waterline starboard bow. I paid $115 for the pump and plumbed the line via a hull through. Easy.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee