Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original A/C thermostats

Seller says they are very finicky and it takes a while to dial them in. From what he's describing the "spread" is too large on the on/off

Are they adjustable? Some home thermostats I've worked with were.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Original A/C thermostats

Could be fan is intermittent vs continuous. Could be thermistor location for starters.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

They're running just fine. It's setting the thermostat to get the desired temp in the living space. Finding the right spot on the dial so to speak. Like I said the on/off spread seems a little large as in 5-6º versus 2º. Again, I've seen it adjustable on residential thermostats, is it on these?
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Yes the temperature differential is more than newer digital stuff. That being said there was a recent post somewhere about compressor issues with newer thermostats on boats. Something about the heat gain being so rapid and a one degree TD caused issues with the compressors unless they had a built in re-start delay. I don't have any real complaints with my original's 1985 thermostats. Its typically so hot here we run them down low anyway

Best money I spent 18 years ago when I bought mine was concerting the ACs to electronic controls.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    They're running just fine. It's setting the thermostat to get the desired temp in the living space. Finding the right spot on the dial so to speak. Like I said the on/off spread seems a little large as in 5-6º versus 2º. Again, I've seen it adjustable on residential thermostats, is it on these?
    If you're referring to the original 110 volt Honeywell thermostats then yes they are "finicky". All four of them on our boat do the job, but we actually have to dial down well past the desired temperature in order to get what we want.

As an example, in the main salon, if I want 72 degrees I have to set the thermostat at around 65 degrees. It's a little better in the forward cabin/galley as a 68 degree set point gets me 72 degrees. The worst is the master stateroom where I have to dial down to something like 63 degrees to get 72 degrees.

Yes there is an electro-mechanical adjustment on each thermostat but after messing with them for hours, I finally gave up and simply dial down as needed.

Replacing the thermostats with digital controls is on the list for next year.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

OK, that answers my question thank you.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Best money I spent 18 years ago when I bought mine was concerting the ACs

to electronic controls.
    Strongly agree with this. There is NO comparison to how the AC units work with digital controls versus the old analog ones. Now, they probably have them so they talk to your iPhone... mine don't do that, but they are worlds better than the original controls.

Replacing with Coastal Climate Control FX1 is fairly easy and inexpensive.

https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...egory=25823691
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    What year yacht is it? It sounds like they are talking about the original mechanical controls. Mine still has these, and yes, they are finicky. There is no dial to speak of, just three knobs. One knob turns the unit on. The next knob is a potentiometer that controls the fan speed. And finally, the third knob controls the temperature. If you have ever stayed in a hotel with an AC unit on the wall and a Warmer / Cooler knob, it is just like that, and just as bad.

The control is coarse due to a few reasons. The mechanical nature of the controls. The stiffness in the temperature knob. The fact that the temp is controlled via a sensor located in the air handler, which means the fan is always running. And the fact that boats are difficult to cool due to them sitting in the water and having not much in terms of insulation. Almost like cooling a car.

I have woken up in the middle of the night sweating because I adjusted the knob to be less cold but went too far and put it in heat mode. There isn't a lot of difference, at least on the control in my master. I thought about cleaning them up, but they are quite "manufactured" and not something easily adjusted or restored.

Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL