Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Time to Replace Davit?

This old school Davit needs to retire

It's a Nautical Structures DC powered unit with a burned out motor and battle scars from 30+ years of service.

What I'd like is a low profile Davit with a powered rotational base. The Whaler weighs about 800 lbs loaded so a 1000 lb capacity unit should get it done.

Are there other companies out there beside Marquipt and Nautical Stutures worth consideration?

Any words of advice from those who have been through this?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Passages; 08-18-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Re: Time to Replace Davit?

QuickLift. Small company here in Miami, great product and amazing service. Unlike nautical structure.

The 70 johnson I ran for 9 years had one of their Davits and it was great. Right now the 84 lazzara has a nautical structure. Service is awful. We had to spend $10k 2 years ago to partially rebuild it, it was 8 years old then.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I replaced my manual Davit a year and half ago with a steelhead 1000. It is fully hydraulic. I am very pleased and has made loading and unloading the tender so much less hassle. It was 25K installed in Stuart , Fl by Bullhead marine. Very pleased with Steel head and bullhead

Had UMT Marine out to the boat today. Seemed very knowledgeable.
    Will get a quote next day or so. Anyone have experience with this company?
    Last edited by Passages; 08-18-2020 at 08:16 AM.

yes I had a UMT manual davit that was replace by the Hydraulic Steelhead. UMT is a reputable company but I am not convinced that their davits are the top of the line. My manual UMT went through 2 winch motors in 10 years and was working on the third when I cried Uncle. It also is made from aluminum which will require periodic painting to keep looking good. The wire that powered the winch sagged and got caught in the gears which severed power with one time with the dinghy in the air. I am not pushing steelhead just wanting you to be aware of what I noticed. Steelhead retracts and all of it is sleeved in fiberglass or plastic which eliminates the painting of aluminum. UMT may make a great hydraulic davit that may have none of the above issues. One of the main guys at UMT when to YRM who also makes davits and has a very good person to deal with. His first name is Chris. He is polish so I don’t want to try and spell his last name.
    Last edited by motoryacht lover; 08-12-2020 at 04:40 PM.

I have head of UMT but neither bad or good.

Again call Quicklift. Excellent quality and service... heavy duty wireless remote with manual override on the pump. Most of Hargrave Yachts these days use them.

http://www.quicklift.com/
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks, I know you are a fan of Steelhead but I'm concerned they are on the West Coast of Canada while I'm on the East coats of South Florida. There seems to be a bunch of fabricators within a 50 mile radius.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I have head of UMT but neither bad or good.

Again call Quicklift. Excellent quality and service... heavy duty wireless remote with manual override on the pump. Most of Hargrave Yachts these days use them.

http://www.quicklift.com/
    I did. My call went to voicemail. Got called back this am and person I spoke to said his Mom got my message to him late. During our conversations he mentions his mom several times.
    Seemed a little unprofessional and gave the impression it's a 1 man operation working out of the trunk of his car.

Parsing words a little bit but I am not a fan of Steelhead just a satisfied customer. Any of the good brands should be fine. BTW my steelhead was installed in Stuart and dealer at least at that time kept a 1000lb in stock. I had a warranty issue that was a couple of months out of warranty and they covered it. Plus as fellow Viking owners we can have matching davits at the next Hatt rendezvous. Read pascal’s post about quick lift and saw about a manual override of hyd pump. Mine has the wire less remote but I don’t think I have manual override. That is a nice feature.
    Last edited by motoryacht lover; 08-12-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Question Re: Time to Replace Davit?

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    I did. My call went to voicemail. Got called back this am and person I spoke to said his Mom got my message to him late. During our conversations he mentions his mom several times.
    Seemed a little unprofessional and gave the impression it's a 1 man operation working out of the trunk of his car.
    It s a family business. Two brothers plus a couple Of employees and yes the mom runs the office. Personally I like this better than a company like Nautical Structure with many people with fancy titles which result in lousy service.

They ve been around for years... good people.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat