Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Flybridge enclosure

I have no lower helm, nor do I want one, so its flybridge or nothing.

I had 3/4 front and sides on the flybridge, but the first thing I did when I bought her was remove the side panels and store them...that was 5 years ago and I have never reinstalled.. I just run with the front panel only, and even at that I open the center part of it and roll it up leaving me basically wide open when I'm running.

I have a structural hard top which could easily accommodate a full enclosure including rear....but give me that wind in my face, I wouldn't have it any other way. I've run comfortably in 20 degrees to 90 degrees, and if its too hot or cold to run...Maggie Mae doesn't run.
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

Having read all the comment on this thread and having a top made for our 43DC have decided to have just a Bimini top made for the flybridge but am having the canvas shop sew in the zippers for full enclosing if I find that it is warranted in the future, I think if weather is bad enough to enclose the flybridge I'd be happier on the bridge which already has full enclosures or below deck until fairer weather. Our plan is looping nice and slow so weather delays won't be an issue I just don't want the hot sun on us all the time we are on the flybridge

Quote Originally Posted by Jims43DC View Post
    Having read all the comment on this thread and having a top made for our 43DC have decided to have just a Bimini top made for the flybridge but am having the canvas shop sew in the zippers for full enclosing if I find that it is warranted in the future, I think if weather is bad enough to enclose the flybridge I'd be happier on the bridge which already has full enclosures or below deck until fairer weather. Our plan is looping nice and slow so weather delays won't be an issue I just don't want the hot sun on us all the time we are on the flybridge
    Great decision. You will be very happy.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Jims43DC View Post
    Good move.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

No enclosure ensures best opportunity for the JOOD to size up the situation.

IMG_2028.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Juvenile Officer Of the Day?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Juvenile Officer Of the Day?
    That's me. She's Junior Officer Of the Deck.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Well, she's a cutie pie and you're a lucky fellow.

Coasties and cops will give you a ticket PFD on all children under 13 years old: https://www.uscg.mil/Portals/0/Headq...%20DEVICE1.pdf
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Coasties and cops will give you a ticket PFD on all children under 13 years old: https://www.uscg.mil/Portals/0/Headq...ON DEVICE1.pdf
    Objection your honor. Cited material clearly states that State Law prevails. South Carolina requires the following:

In South Carolina, children 12 years of age and under are required to wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket or life vest when on a recreational vessel less than 16 feet in length or on a PWC.

Motion for dismissal.

All kidding aside it is a good subject to hash out so we know what our liability in fact is. Can it be argued that the requirement is only on recreational vessels less than 16 feet in length and thus that there is no requirement on vessels 16 feet and over and therefore the Federal requirement applies?
    Last edited by oscarvan; 08-18-2020 at 09:27 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay