Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Flybridge enclosure

I am replacing the canvas on my flybridge. As you all probably know it cost slightly more than a McDonald’s Happy Meal. My question is this: Is 3/4 enclosure adequate/advisable/recommended for general cruising? More to the point, is going to a full enclosure worth the additional $2,150 it would cost? Chesapeake Bay can get cold, but not Wisconsin cold. Opinions welcomed on this one!
    Jason ‘Noogie’ Erbecker
    "Liberty Risk”
    1974 46C
    Hampton, VA

Re: Flybridge enclosure

Mine is open year round. However our weather is not a severe as the East Coast. I love cruising with the air flowing across me in all directions.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have the full but never used the aft section. S.C. don’t get Chesapeake Bay cold. Just replaced the clear portion of my enclosure as the canvas parts were in good shape. Very pleased and saved about $4-5,000.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I have a lower station for the cold days.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Growing up on the Chesapeake Bay we never had full enclosure even though our Convertible was only operated from the bridge. So to answer your question I would not do 100%. I love the openness of the bridge.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I have a lower station for the cold days.
    The very reason I'm buying one.

That and the too freaking hot days.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 08-10-2020 at 10:43 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Last year I completely removed the clears.

Removal had the effect of reducing the "station wagon effect" and dust/dirt no longer builds on floor under the steering wheel or on the dash. I was concerned about the dash cover, but its held up.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

We keep our boat in NJ and often move it to Baltimore for fall use. We don't have the aft curtains, only time I ever wished I had them was when I left to go to Florida Thanksgiving week one year, but only for a day and a half.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thanks all for the advice. I'll give it some thought and, of course, prioritize it with all the other little projects I am working. Electrical seems relatively solved, windlass is working, Reverso pump and switch replaced and now working... the list goes on. Thanks again,
    Jason ‘Noogie’ Erbecker
    "Liberty Risk”
    1974 46C
    Hampton, VA

Quote Originally Posted by jason.erbecker View Post
    I am replacing the canvas on my flybridge. As you all probably know it cost slightly more than a McDonald’s Happy Meal. My question is this: Is 3/4 enclosure adequate/advisable/recommended for general cruising? More to the point, is going to a full enclosure worth the additional $2,150 it would cost? Chesapeake Bay can get cold, but not Wisconsin cold. Opinions welcomed on this one!
    For what its worth we went with the full enclosure aft. It blows like stink on San Francisco Bay; we might as well be the Pacific NW.

I think it would extend your seasonal use quite a bit and add value at re-sale.

Cheers!
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com