Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Anyone Know where the Circuit Breaker or Fuse is Located For the System Monitor?

My system monitor at the main helm station is as dead as a door nail. There does not appear to be a specific breaker on any of the panels for it, so without chasing down a bunch of wires, I was hoping someone might be able to point me in a direction. Thx.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Re: Anyone Know where the Circuit Breaker or Fuse is Located For the System Monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    My system monitor at the main helm station is as dead as a door nail. There does not appear to be a specific breaker on any of the panels for it, so without chasing down a bunch of wires, I was hoping someone might be able to point me in a direction. Thx.
    Mine is an inline fuse (behind the console when you hinge it forward).
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Anyone Know where the Circuit Breaker or Fuse is Located For the System Monitor?

In the silver battery switch boxes at the end of your engine compartments .... open these up. One of the fuses is for the system monitor. Its marked. From memory its 20 amps and has probably fallen to bits after 35 years. Our's had.

It gets more complicated if the fault is in the Systems Monitor silver box. Here's a link to the fellow that rebuilt our Systems Monitor 25 years ago. Very helpful on the phone.

https://hatterassystemsmonitor.com/
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    In the silver battery switch boxes at the end of your engine compartments .... open these up. One of the fuses is for the system monitor. Its marked. From memory its 20 amps and has probably fallen to bits after 35 years. Our's had.

It gets more complicated if the fault is in the Systems Monitor silver box. Here's a link to the fellow that rebuilt our Systems Monitor 25 years ago. Very helpful on the phone.

https://hatterassystemsmonitor.com/
    Scott is correct. The fuse is in one of the boxes that houses the battery switches.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

On the 1989 M/Y 65, in the starboard engine room terminal box, SE-2 has a 10 amp fuse that feeds the system monitor TB-3 #4. Not sure if this will apply to your 53.
    Summer Star II
    1986 Christensen 70'
    Ensenada, MX

Thanks to all for the responses. Found it. Fuse was indeed located in the stainless battery disconnect enclosure. Checked for power and I'm getting voltage on both sides of the fuse.

Next step is to check power at he unit in the pilothouse and continue troubleshooting. I suspect this system hasn't been operating for a very long time and the PO kind of "glossed over" the fact that it was inoperative.

I'll know more in the next couple of weeks.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

You could take the cover off the Systems Monitor box as step one.

At the bottom of the circuit board are some fuses and you may find one of those has blown. The circuit board connects up to the wheelhouse and flybridge panels. The Systems Monitor is powered directly from the circuit you identified in the battery switch box so you can check power in.

If I remember correctly one of the fuses at the bottom has something to do with power to the panels. Anyway its worth checking out. When Systems Monitor gets/has power you will hear relays at bottom clicking. The Systems Monitor should always be powered. What happens when you lift up a bilge level sensor? Does the panel alarm sound? Do you have an Emergency Horn button in wheelhouse? This has something to do with the Systems Monitor if it fails. Try pressing it.

The right side of the circuit board is for senders and switches in and out. The left side is for the flybridge circuits.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    On our 1978 53MY its a buss fuse beneath the lower helm, just as Prometheus described. Just follow the wiring bundle to the fuse block.
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com