Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dry Bilge

Dry Bilge

Trying something to keep dryer bilges. My starboard bilge forward of the ER has nothing contributing to bilge water. The ER sump has one AC unit adding water, and the rudder post on that side contributes underway. But, that water will drain forward, especially with full fwd fuel and water tank. There's no need for that to happen, so here's what I've come up with.

IMG_1995.jpg
    I non-permantly installed a short piece of 3/4" PVC and elbowed up a standpipe. If I have casual water up forward, it can be seen in the pipe and wet vac'd out. Or, it'll overflow in a geyser and remind me to abandon ship. The ER sump should now pump down, even with a slow-down surge, before anything overtops the standpipe.

I realize the insert will slow down any major water. It'll probably slow it down enough for the bilge pump to actually handle it.

Anyone else found a solution to water sloshing back and forth?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Dry Bilge

I get a decent amount of water in the starboard bilge too. I was blaming it on the sweating of the 4 a/c units but suppose it could be from a condensate drain as well. Following to see how this works. I may try as well. Which unit drains into your bilge. On mine the salon unit drains overboard for both coils. There are also two which drain into the ER sump.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I get a decent amount of water in the starboard bilge too. I was blaming it on the sweating of the 4 a/c units but suppose it could be from a condensate drain as well. Following to see how this works. I may try as well. Which unit drains into your bilge. On mine the salon unit drains overboard for both coils. There are also two which drain into the ER sump.
    The master drains into the sump. I ran the fwd salon air handler that was going there overboard. Of course the four condensing units add a bit to that sump. Mostly I want to stop that brown river water from going fwd.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Im at a loss on mine. sometimes I can leave it dry and come back in 2 weeks and its dry. Other times it will be wet after a week. I have stayed in ER during heavy rains and can't find anything. I have tasted the water and sometimes its salty and not on others. Luckily its never more than a couple gallons. Most obvious thing I see is a/c related but I leave a/c off when I am gone

Hatteras routed the condensate drains to sea chests. NOT to the bilges.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Hatteras routed the condensate drains to sea chests. NOT to the bilges.
    You may be correct IF your Hatt has a sea chest.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

My drains go to the shower sumps. Only the salon goes directly overboard via a through hull in port engine room. This is as built and shown in the documentation from Hatteras.
    Have to agree with Pascal on the generally poor routing and size of condensate lines. Have to clean lines every six months.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsley_oasis View Post
    My drains go to the shower sumps. Only the salon goes directly overboard via a through hull in port engine room. This is as built and shown in the documentation from Hatteras.Have to agree with Pascal on the generally poor routing and size of condensate lines. Have to clean lines every six months.
    Bromine tab in evap pans will greatly alleviate line stoppage.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Bromine tab in evap pans will greatly alleviate line stoppage.
    Thanks Robert will give them a try if the Calgon tablets I just started using this spring don't cut it.
    Do you see any corrosion issues from the bromine?
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

I wonder until when Hatteras used seachest along the hull. It s a pretty neat setup although the discharge holes are not big enough for Multiple larger bilge pumps kicking in at the same time.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat