Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Refrigerator replacement on 53MY

Pascal I know you have done a full remodel on your 53, do you know how the framing for ac panel At top of stairs comes off, I have looked behind the cover plates etc and can’t see how it’s attached to the wall.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Mine is 1970, the electrical panel (AC & DC) was in the starboard ER. Awful idea. I think that changed in 1971 or 1972

During the refit I built a new panel at the top of the stairs.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Gotcha thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Purchased an LG refrigerator with French doors two years ago. Many of the LG countertop depth models have a 23-5/8 inch case with the doors removed so they will go down the companionway.

As mentioned, only trim we had to remove was in the main salon doorway to the pilothouse. Galley was a little disorganized as sister was putting stuff away.

Attachment 42323Attachment 42324Attachment 42325
    Can you send me a photo of the opening of your staircase and the dimensions. How wide is the refrigerator with the door removed?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Case of the refrigerator is 23-1/2 inches wide with the doors removed.

20200810_203855.jpg

Width of the companionway down to the galley at it's narrowest point is 26 inches which was measured from the piano hinge sticking out of the circuit breaker enclosure (starboard) to the edge of the pilot's station (to port). Obviously, we had to remove the grab bar which was easily accessed from inside the hinged pilot's console.

20200810_203914.jpg

On the 53ED the narrowest point was the doorway from the main salon to the pilothouse. With the cabinet doors removed this was 23-3/4 inches. We literally didn't have enough room to put cardboard to protect the walls as the refrigerator box got jammed in the hole. Had to use blue tape and red rosin paper to keep everything from getting scratched, but made it through with a sixteenth to spare.

No cutting involved anywhere.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Your opening down the staircase is an 1” wider than my opening however if you fit it through the side door and it fit it should work because that’s the size of my opening down the staircase. I’ll have to take off the electrical door panel and trim. I’ll take some more measurements In the morning. Thanks for the photos and info.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Case of the refrigerator is 23-1/2 inches wide with the doors removed.

Attachment 42360

Width of the companionway down to the galley at it's narrowest point is 26 inches which was measured from the piano hinge sticking out of the circuit breaker enclosure (starboard) to the edge of the pilot's station (to port). Obviously, we had to remove the grab bar which was easily accessed from inside the hinged pilot's console.

Attachment 42361

On the 53ED the narrowest point was the doorway from the main salon to the pilothouse. With the cabinet doors removed this was 23-3/4 inches. We literally didn't have enough room to put cardboard to protect the walls as the refrigerator box got jammed in the hole. Had to use blue tape and red rosin paper to keep everything from getting scratched, but made it through with a sixteenth to spare.

No cutting involved anywhere.
    What make and model did you install?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    What make and model did you install?
    Previous post showed a pic of the product label on the bottom of the fridge if you need it for further reference but it's an LG model #LFC21776ST.

Unit is two years old so not sure if that particular model is still available but if you look at most of the counter depth LG units in the 21 cu. ft range, they all had the same case depth and it appeared the width varied by volume.

Hope this info helps.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

While perusing I noticed that Home Despot lists the depth of fridges with door OFF in the specs....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    While perusing I noticed that Home Despot lists the depth of fridges with door OFF in the specs....
    most also list with the handle off as well. My issue is if I find something that would fit thru my stairway it’s too tall and I don’t want to start taking stuff apart to cut it to fit unless I have
    no choice. I’m thinking of maybe having an appliance guy take a look while I try to find it’s replacement. As someone mentioned the China flu has decreased inventories everywhere so I’ll have to wait I’m sure which works out better for me as I would like to do it when I’m on blocks so I can forklift the old and new thru the back.