Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Refrigerator replacement on 53MY

I was not a fan of the drawer style either but opted for it due to the Admiral’s strong preference. Cut the old one into a couple of pieces with a sawzall and in about an hour it was out. 3 guys got the new Thermador installed and running in about another hour. Works great and am very happy. So happy that we plan to pull the old dishwasher out and put a second Thermador in giving us considerably more fridge/freezer capacity (and redundancy) than we originally had. Got more countertop and cabinet space to boot.
    Bill Allison
    Hatt 1988 60MY Grateful.
    Wilson Lake, Killen AL

Purchased an LG refrigerator with French doors two years ago. Many of the LG countertop depth models have a 23-5/8 inch case with the doors removed so they will go down the companionway.

As mentioned, only trim we had to remove was in the main salon doorway to the pilothouse. Galley was a little disorganized as sister was putting stuff away.

20200809_135211.jpg20200809_135147.jpg20200809_135223.jpg
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Thanks Brian, from what I remember LG has/had a horrible reputation. How has it been ?
    looks like you needed to trim the upper cabinet frame For the height. I did find a 12cu from Norcold that would be a perfect fit but it’s $4k+.
    Last edited by MadHatter53; 08-10-2020 at 07:47 AM.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Honestly, when we first got this fridge I was very skeptical. Not sure I liked the French door arrangement, plus it's an LG, which is OK, but not great as far as brands go.

After using it for two years, I've really grown to like this unit. Very efficient and keeps food perfectly cold. There's digital controls above the doors (when opened) making adjustments easy and refrigerator has lots of shelves and storage.

Galley cabinet redo is on the list for early next year, so I'll trim out around the refrigerator and put the doors back on above the unit during the retrofit. Going to replace the rest of the appliances at the same time, but the toughest part was the refrigerator, so now that it's in place, I can do the rest without the heavy lifting.

Time will tell but for right now, we're pleased with this choice.
    Brian L

Yes, had to trim the the bottom of the cabinet just above the refrigerator. I think we took about an inch off the bottom to get it into place.

Doors will fit back on the cabinets, but I have to move the hinges up the same distance as the material trimmed off the bottom (basically shifting the doors up on the cabinet one inch).
    Brian L

when I bought my 61' CPMY it had a Traulsen commercial refrigerator installed which is narrow enough to come down the stairs. It had a compressor problem right away and the way it was installed with the compressor mounted on top of the unit and only accessible from above meant cutting behind the helm to repair. Otherwise it has been an awesome, huge refrigerator. I just bought a huge freezer only to install in the forward stateroom closet with a bit of modifying as no freezer was a problem. I am including some of the other modifications to the galley refit which is now about 95% done. We really tried to maximize storage as we live aboard most of the time.
    Attached Images

more pics
    Attached Images

last couple of shots
    Attached Images

I put a Whirlpool French Door on my 53, since it s now galley up since wasn’t much of a concern. Really like the shelves set up and it s made in the USA

On the boat I run I added an extra fridge for long Exumas trip, downstairs forward in a corner which used to had a small desk. The only that would fit down the stairs was a Samsung which is pretty good. Also French door although I prefer my Whirlpool
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat