Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Refrigerator replacement on 53MY

This unit, left hand door, with door off, is what we did. Under 24 inches. read some old threads on it.
    https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/cool...jx5-25801.html

ice maker never worked right, but have the big ice maker in the salon. Bought it from Lowe's delivered to the boat, took the door off on the dock, and tipped the guys $50 to lift it through the salon doors and bring it to the galley

7 years and happy. I think there may be tariffs on this now.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

This is a constant thread on here.

We replaced our refrigerator last year with a Frigidaire FGTR1837TF2. We were able to "birth" it through the companionway stairs with about a 1/16" to spare all around. Its 66 1/8" High, 29 5/8" Wide, and depth is 29 7/8" with the door minus the handle. Depth without the door is 26 1/2".

We removed the door and all of the interior accoutrements for the load-in, and actually brought it onto the boat with a forklift while in the yard for a bottom job.

#Seven, who is on this thread, was here for the load-in and grand event and can attest to just how tight it was.

Results were totally worth it.

Good luck!!
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

On my 53 MY, I owe the Previous Owner a debt of gratitude for his foresight....when he did the refit on my girl in 09 he modified the opening on the galley steps to accommodate the size of this nifty Summit "twistyair" commercial unit which has never let us down or failed to handle our largest grocery hauls. If it goes really bad and can't be repaired in situ, I can pull her out in one piece. image.jpg
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

Thanks JR you got lucky. Any pics of stairway?
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Just a thought from an old appliance guy: Look for "counter depth" refrigerators. They generally have a shallower case depth and with the doors off they are easier to get in. Bonus is that they don't stick out in the galley like a standard one does. I've delivered enough refrigerators and they make the job much easier in tight spaces. Also, taking the doors off reduces the weight and keeps them from flopping open (employees have done this...) and damaging them. If you get a ice/water in door unit, be sure to find the release for the water line and disconnect it before you start disassembly.

Robert

And after a few hours of fun and games the old one is out....... https://ladykay.blog/the-fridge/

And I'm with Seven..... I'm sticking a 10 cuft unit in there and will see how that works. If we go to the Bahamas for three weeks I'll stick a small chest freezer on the back deck for the trip.... Also planning on replacing the ice maker on the back deck with a small beverage fridge. That would give me 14 cuft. I have 17 cuft in the motorhome and never fill it.

This smaller fridge will go down there with relative ease and could similarly be back out in a jiffy.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 08-27-2020 at 12:40 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I think you can get a 12 CF down those stairs. I’ve looked up tons of them. If interested PM me your cell and I’ll text photos of them. Take lots of photos please.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Got the SS 10.1 Magic Chef ordered from Home Despot, picking up tomorrow. It's at least temporary maybe longer. It will allow us to go play with the boat and figure out what we want to do in the galley. Yes, I will take pictures.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I’m headed in that direction and building a drawer under it and a slide out pantry and making it look built in.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have this 12 volt model waiting to go in. Supposed to draw an average of 24 amps in 24 hours.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Unique-1...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA