Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

True hull fitting

On my 1976 58' Hatteras the true hull fitting operates only 1/4 of its turn radius and feels like some
    thing is blocking it to go full open, feels like there is something in the hole of the valve.
    Any help in solving the problem, short of an haul out, will be greatly appreciated.
    The thru hull fitting I am working with is: Engine cooling intake thru hull.
    Last edited by witold933252763; 10-15-2022 at 07:04 PM.

Re: True hull fitting

Is there a nut on the opposite side of the handle? If so losses it. Some. Water may come in. Once loose work the handle back and forth.you may need to hit it with a rubber mallet. Once free re- tighten the nut. If that works make sure the next time you haul out you have them greased up. You should be working them at least once a month open and close anyway.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks SEVEN.
    I will give it a try tomorrow.

My engine thru hulls have ball valves and they are 1/4 turn from fully open to fully closed. Are you sure the valves are more than 1/4 turn valves?

You are correct they are a quarter turn fall open or full closed. There should be a solid piece of brass blocking it from going any further in either direction.. Sounds like he wasn’t even getting that.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    My engine thru hulls have ball valves and they are 1/4 turn from fully open to fully closed. Are you sure the valves are more than 1/4 turn valves?
    /Thanks Brian
    So, my valves are working normally.
    Wit

Quote Originally Posted by witold933252763 View Post
    /Thanks Brian
    So, my valves are working normally.
    Wit
    Sounds like it, they are called Quarter Turn SeaCocks. Basically a 1/4 turn ball valve. If you are getting 90deg of handle throw you are good.

The thru-hull fitting is actually the fitting that inserts from outside the hull and threads into the seacock.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I only get around 20 degrees of handle throw not 90, something in the hole of must be restricting the 90 degree handle throw
    Wonder what could have gotten in the hole opening to block the valve function.
    Last edited by witold933252763; 10-18-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by witold933252763 View Post
    I only get around 20 degrees of handle throw not 90, something in the hole of must be restricting the 90 degree handle throw
    Wonder what could have gotten in the hole opening to block the valve function.
    Probably barnacles or corrosion. Keep working it back and forth and if you gain a little each time you can probably free it up. It is good practice to "exercise" all of your sea cocks every couple months to prevent this from happening. Also R A Clarkson has a thread on flushing heat exchangers. If you follow his method and take out the impellers the acid mix gets down on the ball valve and helps free the handles up. It worked for me.

Hi Brian
    How do I get a hold of RA Clarkson?
    Thanks