Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Refrigerator replacement on 53MY

My fridge is on its last leg and looking for a replacement. Orig size is roughly 64”H x 33W x 25D with doors off. Problem is my ac panel at the top of stairs, the trim sticks out 1 3/4” so I have only 23 1/2” of width, if I can remove it easily I’ll have 25 1/4” of width. All I see is two plugs on the top corners and I can’t see any other fasteners that hold it to the wall. I really don’t want to butcher it up and can’t find a fridge that would fit down the stairs. Any help with fridge or panel removal is greatly appreciated.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: Refrigerator replacement on 53MY

A heads-up. Just replaced Fridge on my boat, as a function of COVID there is NO inventory.

I’m in the same predicament. Mine is still running but costs 3.75 a day to run it. What ever you do please take photos and give us the model number you decided on. I’m looking at putting a 12.5 cubic foot in and adding a draw at the bottom to raise it up and a slide out panel on the side as a small pantry. If that doesn’t work I’m looking at making it look enclosed. Pascal wrote about this and removed the left side of the stair case to open the area up. Please send photos of what ever you do.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I looked at the handle side but that would be way too much carpentry the way Hatteras put things together “glued screwed And or nailed”. The smaller 12 cu would slide right in but as you see there would be a lot of extra un usable space.

The wisdom of the galley up boat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Look at YouTube 53 Hatteras. Virginia yacht brokers . Starfire 53 Hatteras . The video shows a subzero refrigerator at the top and a pull out freezer on the bottom . Lots of room for food and drinks and ice. Fits nicely.

If I was facing this, and I may well some day if not sooner I will make little pieces out of the fridge. (Yes I have reduced many appliances and electronics and even tires to garbage size pieces.) I would replace it with drawers or multiple smaller units that EASILY fit down (and up) the stairs.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Now I know why the PO widened the opening to 32.5 inches! The stairs are the original width, but the opening is bigger and a full size fridge could slide in over the dinette.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Not a fan of the drawer type and a bit pricey. It would give me some counter space but I would lose too much fridge capacity. I still can’t figure out what’s holding framing for my ac panel to the wall.
    I pulled the cover plate and there is no visible connections. If I could remove the framing things would fit better.

We just replaced ours last year. I'll take pics and post make and model fridge tomorrow morning as I'll be at the boat later today.

To get it down the stairs we removed both fridge doors and actually had to remove a piece of trim in the main salon door opening to the pilothouse. That's due to the ED configuration.

Fridge is a full size unit with double door refrigerator on top and freezer on the bottom. Unit is stainless steel. Had to trim cabinetry above and to the side of the fridge but since we're going to redo the galley anyway not a big deal for us. We could just add some wood trim and call it a day if need be but next year is the galley redo so decided to leave cabinetry for now.

I'll post more info later.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop