Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I知 confused

I知 confused

From what I read here it seems that most people with 12-71 or 8-71 run 170 degree thermostats and there engines run at around 180 degrees at cruising RPM, yet I keep seeing Detroit痴 that run at 160 degrees at cruise. I assume they are using lower temp thermostats. Which is best? I just surveyed a boat with 8-71TI engines and they ran at 160 with my gun at the same RPM my engines would be at 180
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: I知 confused

I have heard (more than once) to install colder thermostats in my engines because it will prevent overheating.
    Which is, of course, a classic example of bogus revelation.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Although there are different temp settings for Detroit thermostats, most use the 180 degree units. I have 650HP-12V71TIs with 2 180 degree stats per head. At slow cruise, I read 140 to 150. At fast cruise we see 170 degrees.
    In the pins (WOT), I may see 180 to 190.
    Alarms go off at 215 to 225 (thankfully never been there).
    This is testament that the cooling system is pretty good if not over sized on some models.

My thought is; Don't let the low readings confuse you. Just ensure the high readings are accounted for and under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    From what I read here it seems that most people with 12-71 or 8-71 run 170 degree thermostats and there engines run at around 180 degrees at cruising RPM, yet I keep seeing Detroit痴 that run at 160 degrees at cruise. I assume they are using lower temp thermostats. Which is best? I just surveyed a boat with 8-71TI engines and they ran at 160 with my gun at the same RPM my engines would be at 180
    John, I have 160 stats and run about there anywhere from in-gear idle to about 1,000 RPM. At 1,800 or so, I run at about 180-185 F. That's also in 85-89 F seawater. I think if you run at hull speed predominantly hotter is better. But it can also be a thin window from 185 to uh oh.

Just freshwater flushed port motor leak checking after pump rebuild. Pretty good block heat with 97 F tap water!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

On the west coast we typically run in 50-60 ish degree water, cold thermostats are a bad idea here.
    Mine run at 171 port and 173 starboard regardless of load or speed.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    I have heard (more than once) to install colder thermostats in my engines because it will prevent overheating.
    Which is, of course, a classic example of bogus revelation.
    Correct. Diesels are thermal engines to a point. For the oil to flow correctly, the coolant to work correctly, the block and gaskets to set correctly, the lungs and fuel to do their things correctly, the target water/block temperature should be around 180 degrees on a factory block.
    This is usually where the block is when real horse power is oozzing off the propellers.

An old timer Detroit mechanic that has worked on our equipment since the late 70's told me to only run 170's in marine applications. I have always done just that.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Where did you measure the the temperature? Its not consistent along the whole engine
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I usually measure at the T-stat housings.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.