Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dormant 58 LRC

Re: Dormant 58 LRC

We offer Fuel Polishing! Kraken Marine Service, you can find us on Facebook!

I’d love to see pics of her. Also I didn’t know they put 4v71’s in such a big boat. My 53MY has the 8V71 Turbos...which is a lot more engine in a lot smaller boat.
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

When the boat is in my possession I will post some pictures of her on here. The reason for the small Detroit 4-71’s is because the hull is a full displacement hull. Having bigger engines other than the 6-71’s would be wasted space and useless because you can only push a full displacement hull so fast. These boat top out around 11kts but if you run the boat at slower speeds it will yield you more nautical mile range. At 6.5kts this boat is capable of a range of 5700 miles. Your 53MY like my 44TC have semi planing hulls which with more power applied will allow the boat to get up on plane. I’m not in a hurry when we go somewhere so I’m happy with a nice and easy 7-8kt cruise while sipping fuel.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

Good point because even though Maggie Mae can run up on plane and run 20+ knots...I run her at 8-10 knots everywhere we go. Only time I push her is if I’ve been running all day, for a day or two at Hull speeds...I’ll run her up to WOT a couple of minutes to spin up the turbos and to blow it out.
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

No mention of "belts". I would pull them all, inspect or replace. Set the tensions with a tool to ensure correct settings.

I would take it out and run at full cruise speed and ensure one or both engines are not overheating, from an unusual source, such as a kinked hose.

Check volume of Hyd steering fluid in reservoir(s?), and verify the pressure value in the system.

Doubt if an issue, but search for corroded wiring and/or wire nuts; you never know.

Lines- any chafing?

I have had an up-close look at an LRC only once, but talk about over-built! All parts and fittings looked 2x or 3x a normal value! And we know Hatts are stout, as is.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...