Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dormant 58 LRC

Dormant 58 LRC

Hello everyone,I am in the process of buying a 58 LRC that has been at dock for at least a few years if not more. Once the deal is done I plan on having the fuel tanks cleaned and polished. The boat already has many spare filters onboard. What else aside from normal maintenance should I do before bringing her down the East coast to Myrtle Beach, SC? I plan on oil changes, fuel system maintenance, bottom cleaning, and zincs. What could I possibly expect to crap out after the boat sitting unused for so long. I do know the engines run and have been rebuilt not long before she stopped being used and the owner winterized them in November so that was the last time they were run. They are 4-71’s. I will be having a full survey done and a lengthy sea trial so hopefully some of the issues will reveal themselves during the trial and not the voyage home. Thanks for all your wisdom and advise in advance.Thanks again,Alex
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302
    Little River, South Carolina

Re: Dormant 58 LRC

You mean the engines were run Nov 2019 right? If so, and as long as they were winterized correctly they should be fine. If however it’s been a few years since they’ve been run you would need to run them up a few times and look for coolant leaks etc... oil analysis is a good indicator of differing issues particularly if they haven’t been run in a while.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Hoses hoses hoses. Replace every hose and clamp that looks sketchy. Replace all raw water impellers and clean the heat exchangers and strainers. Overheating is the one engine killer you don’t want to have. Even if they claim it was done do it anyway so you know what your starting with. Don’t do the halfassed flush.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Two boat owner now?
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I might end up a two boat owner for a little while until my 44TC sells.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302

The engines were run in November 2019 and winterized with antifreeze. I have visited the boat twice this year when I was in the area and know that I will have to replace at least one battery that’s for the inverter.
    Knot Your Hatt
    1975 58 LRC Hull#302

Seems to me that you have more to worry about with the fuel tanks than the engines, if they were run and winterized last November. Besides have the fuel polished and carrying a LOT of filters (two cases) I don't know what else. Make sure you have high-option towing fully paid up and don't go too far offshore. Come to think of it, come down the ditch for the first few days and sort out problems before you go offshore.

And we have another forum member with a 58 LRC who make the trip from FL to Boston last year. Call him up and send him a plane ticket so he can come along with you.

I’ve delivered quite a few boats between Florida and Texas and a common denominator with them all is they have been sitting for months and maintenance has been put off while the boat has been on the market. When you do the bottom job you should repack the shaft logs and check all of the seacocks. Most places don’t pull the heat exchangers anymore. They tap into the raw water system and circulate a mild acid through the system. The generators will probably give the most trouble to keep running. Look over everything on the engines even if they tell you it’s just been done. A 4-71 is pretty hard to kill.as previously stated don’t head offshore until you’ve put at least 2-3 days of run time. You may want to drop the rudders while you’re hauled out and repack the rudder boxes. Make sure your radio works and possible have a handheld as a backup. Send me a plane ticket.

Oh, This is the one in Texas?
    Cool, I could use a plane ticket also.

Lots of good advice already given. Especially on the generators, nothing makes a trip worse than loosing generator, also, nothing more frustrating to work on than a genset while underway in a hot ass engine room.

I would def do some fuel polishing, change all fluids (so I had a known baseline starting point). Make sure all scoops and thru-hulls are free of barnacles, mussels...etc. I would acid flush the cooling system. I'd be very tempted to pull all thermostats for cleaning and pot testing. Double check all hoses and clamps, especially in the exhaust and raw water systems.

double/triple check all bilge pumps and float switches. If the boat has the arm style float switches I'd go ahead and replace them all with the ultra safety float switches.

I would change all raw water impellers, and carry spares.

If she's been used as a dock queen the freshwater and AC sides/systems should be in decent shape. If she's just sat completely dormant you will want to give those systems a good once over as well.

Best of luck with the new boat!!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL