Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Allison oil pressure

Both transmissions are running fine with about a two second delay after shifting, but the mechanical gauges only show about 100 psi in gear. My mechanic helped me change all the cables and adjusted to throw. We also checked the screens and they were perfectly clean. He recommends adding 1/2 quart of Lucas oil treatment to each transmission to help with oil pressure. Comments?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Allison oil pressure

I think the delay is "characteristic to the device". Either that or both of mine are malfunctioning too.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Is the delay going in forward and not reverse? Typical sign of low oil level.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Is the delay going in forward and not reverse? Typical sign of low oil level.
    In my case both. And oil level is correct. Maybe it closer to 1 second.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The delay is normal, and yes the pressure is low.
    Do not add anything to the oil to fix the pressure.
    Have you or your mechanic tried to adjust the pressure?
    There is a pressure regulator adjustment on the cam driven hydraulic pump.
    Use a mechanical gauge connected to the transmission to monitor the pressure and eliminate any error that the electrical gauges may have while setting/adjusting the pressure.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Before I adjusted anything I'd want to verify pressure with a mechanical gauge. Also, post the model of the gears, that may help in someone helping you troubleshoot.

You say you cleaned the screen, did you also change the filter? How old is the oil? Are you certain its the right viscosity? How are you checking level? Engine running? In gear or out of gear?

Also, maybe check the time delay with a stop watch. 2 seconds would feel like a LOOOONNNGGG time. In the heat of the moment when shifting 1 sec or even a half a sec can feel like a long time but is completely normal.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Check both sets of gauges, my fly bridge gauges are mechanical and read higher than my lower helm gauges, or as others have suggested make sure you have a mechanical gauge to check them for sure. I also agree the delay is normal. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

It s been a while since I ve had Alisons but mines never had a delay. They always engaged pretty much instantly

Another source of issues is the gasket on the screen housing. I don’t recall the details but I remember that if the gasket isn’t in perfect shape and the three bolts evenly torqued the pump will suck air crating low pressure and delays
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Then look for frothy oil after running.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

My gauges read close to 200 and I knew it was wrong. I added mechanical gauges directly to the transmission and both read 125, that’s where they are supposed to be. Check them with mechanical gauge first before going deep
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California