Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Frameless window sealant replacement

Hey Guys,

Has anyone replaced the sealant for their frameless salon & cockpit windows? Hatt has told me to V out a groove and replace with new sealant. So I will not remove the windows themselves, only the top portion of the sealant. I just want to clean up the weathered sealant which looks bad cosmetically . This is the final detail on the exterior to complete.

And boy is the old sealant a #$@^*)($ to remove .....wowzer!!!!

Best,
    Attached Images
    Jackpot

98 43' CNV # 27

Re: Frameless window sealant replacement

Just redid mine. Yard used Silkaflex 295 UV.

IMG_1916.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Second the Silkaflex 295 UV. The “UV” is extremely important as its the version that is formulated to protect against Ultra Violet rays.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Mr. Clarckson, I had to put sunglasses on just to look at that photo!

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Mr. Clarckson, I had to put sunglasses on just to look at that photo!Walt Hoover
    I had the tint do my shades while he was at it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Should have added for OP to be mindful of shrinkage after a week to ten days of curing. Possible you may have to touch up a bit.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

GOT IT, any suggestions other then using new razor blades to cut out the V in the old sealant...I will put double tape along fiberglass and glass windows for protection. Robert, did you happen to see how they removed the old sealant...and did they utilize the V-GROOVE method?

Best,

Paul
    Jackpot

98 43' CNV # 27

Quote Originally Posted by JACKPOT View Post
    GOT IT, any suggestions other then using new razor blades to cut out the V in the old sealant...I will put double tape along fiberglass and glass windows for protection. Robert, did you happen to see how they removed the old sealant...and did they utilize the V-GROOVE method?Best,Paul
    Paul, in my case we pulled the windows and started over. You may have to consult someone else on grooves. They just used utility knife to cut around the glass. They scraped out what they could and wire brushed down to the aluminum bed before priming. As far as re-caulking with Silkaflex, I learned a new technique watching my guy. He used copious amounts of soapy water sprayed on the material to enable him to get and even bead. I always had trouble with smoothing everything out in the past by using solvent. Baby shampoo in a sprayer over and over until you get the bead you want. Good luck!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I prefer the Dow Corning 795 sealant. Been using it very successfully for over 15 years. it's technically NOT a marine product and is primarily used in construction trades for high rise glass buildings.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

2nd the Dow 795, best boat glass guy in San Diego uses it exclusively, not only for installation but cosmetic caulking also, just redid a few of my windows and it looks so perfect you would think it was rubber. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.